Quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting?

When you start to quilt, do you HAVE to start in the middle? I can understand that it's for the 'pushing out' bit that happens but if it's basted well, would this still happen?

My quilt top is now ready for batting and quilting and I'd like to do the borders first. Should I or shouldn't I?
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: Quilting?

I spray baste my quilts and I still start in the center and work my way out. I won't take the chance of having some giant fold, even though everything is seemingly stuck together, and having to rip out half a quilt worth of stitches.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I start in the center, too, even if it is just a table runner. I spray baste and pin, too, and work my way out from the center and have never had a problem. Seems like starting with the borders leaves room for lots of problems.
      Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I would never do the borders first...that is just asking for problems....middle out...always!

Comment

Okey doke. Centre first then. Thanks ladies.
          Lorraine

Comment

I am not an expert quilter. I did take the Quilting Big Quilts on Small Machines on Craftsy. She advised quilting the borders first (straight line) then working your way to the middle. Her explaination was that as you stuffed the quilt into the throat that part was stitched and stabilized. I did try it on my last two and didn't have any puckers and it worked qreat. You might check out her class.
            Ann

Comment

Hmmmm, interesting. Complete opposite opinions. Do any others of you start at the edges? I must admit, I'm veering on going with the majority and starting in the centre, but........might be worth a look there Ahamblin.
              Lorraine

Comment

Baptist fan, I just did a small practice quilt, but I don't see how you can start in the middle with this one...

There is probably an exception to every rule and if you have no worries of shifting, you could start anywhere.

Ahamblin: I just started the class on Crafty. It's encouraging to hear from someone else who has used her techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahamblin View Post
                  I am not an expert quilter. I did take the Quilting Big Quilts on Small Machines on Craftsy. She advised quilting the borders first (straight line) then working your way to the middle. Her explaination was that as you stuffed the quilt into the throat that part was stitched and stabilized. I did try it on my last two and didn't have any puckers and it worked qreat. You might check out her class.
                  I took that class, and I think her reasoning was the border was as straight as it ever would be so she tacks it down. I would have to watch the class again to be sure. I use my walking foot and do big stitches around my border, then start from the middle. No problems so far.
                  Karen
                  Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Also, after I stitch around the borders I put a basting stitch at the edge about 1/8" from the edge of the fabric. This has really helped my outside border stay straight and not shift at all.

I think the other part of starting with the borders is spray basting the quilt. I can see there being a much bigger problem with fabric shifting when it is only pinned but spray basting really seems to hold the quilt sandwich in position. I pinned my first quilt probably every 3 inches and did have problems with the fabric moving slightly. That and it killed my back and knees. After I saw reviews on spray basting I tried it and will never go back to straight pinning again. As I stated I am new to quilting but always looking for new techniques, especially the ones that have valid arguments about why it works.

I think this is one of the things I love about quilting and this forum. There are numerous ways to do everything and you find the technique that works best for you. No one says "this is the only way" just "this is what works for me".

Ann
                    Ann

Comment

I have been Machine quilting for over 15 years I am a long arm for customers for 15 years. I would never recommend doing the borders first. If you are using your regular machine at home I would start in the middle. Fabric will shift, it is woven thread, when you have pieced work and your fabric is going in all different direction it will not always lay the same. When start quilting, depending on how much quilting you are going to do it can make you quilt ripple for lack of a better word. So when you get to your borders you can have a real problem. Even on a long arm with mitered corners the border can and does more than not ripple. Hope some of this helps.
                      Lynn R

Comment

Also, after I stitch around the borders I put a basting stitch at the edge about 1/8" from the edge of the fabric. This has really helped my outside border stay straight and not shift at all.

That is a great idea! I start in one corner and work on small areas meandering (FMQ) until I get it done. I sometimes have a problem with the backing folding behind itself. I have had to rip out a little quilting several times. I am going to try that basting stitch around the edge, that should remedy that!
                        "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                        :D

Comment

I think it would be risky to start with your borders.... The fabrics will be pushed toward the center, and you might end up with a puffy middle... I start as near the center as I can, but if I'm c king S ITD....which I hate....I start at middle of the hop of the quilt, and go straight down... Then work each line from that center.....same with crosshatching.

Some people start in a too corner, and quilt in a quadrant....

Good luck!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

My grandma taught me to ALWAYS start in the center and I do.

Comment

I was looking at something today about quilting in quadrants Sandy. Seemed to make sense.

Anyway, I've got another idea and would like your opinions. See, my batting arrived today but it's still in the wrapper...I'm terrified of starting to quilt. It's gone together so well, I just know I'm going to ruin it, lol.

So, I was wondering: as my quilt is a sampler and has 12 inch blocks with sashing..would it be OK to SITD around each block and sashing and THEN work on whichever part I wanted to? I still don't actually know WHAT I'm going to do, probably just straight lines but would still like your thoughts. I figured that everything would be stable if I did this.
                              Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                              X