Naming Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming Quilts

I've noticed that shed loads of quilts have names. Do you all name your quilts?

The quilt I'm doing is brown, gold, green, flowers...etc and I thought if I named it that 'Forest Floor' might be a suitable one, but is it stupid? Not sure I've got to grips with naming a bit of fabric yet lol.
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: Naming Quilts

I name most of my quilts, so I don't think naming a quilt is stupid. Usually a name comes to my mind while I'm working on the quilt.
    Remember, it's just like kids, if you give birth, you get to name them. Ha ha ha
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I have never named a quilt. Or a sewing machine. Or a car. I don't get the appeal I guess.

Comment

My first quilt was just that - My first quilt. Since then I name all my quilts.
        And yes I label them too. I asked the forum to help me name my last quilt and I followed their suggestions.
        I called it Sherbet Strips. The pictures are in my album and on my blog.
        Preeti
        http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I haven't named any of mine. Just never thought about it. But I don't name my cars or sewing machines either.

Comment

Originally posted by BobW View Post
            I haven't named any of mine. Just never thought about it. But I don't name my cars or sewing machines either.
            Neither do I.
            :icon_wave: Linda
            "Home is where they love you"

Comment

I usually name my quilts -- either for the person who's receiving it, or for the name of the pattern, or for the title of the focus fabric. E.g. my very first quilt from my beginner's quilting class is called my Sampler. The quilt I'm working on now will be titled Storm at Sea, after the pattern name. I haven't named my sewing machine. It's a Viking Opal 670. No names for the cars. JCY

Comment

I do name my quilts. When I first started quilting I was just calling them name Jenny gave. Like DP9, or Strip Star Quilt etc. I asked the same question as you have and received the encouragement to give it it's own name. I think the name that you've picked for your quilt is a great name. : )
                :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

I call them the name of the pattern usually ( not very creative☺), tumbler, double slice ect., or sometimes refer to them as Cathy's quilt or the name of the recipient, or occasionally after the fabric line such as my "Tranquility" quilt for a fabric by Sandy Gervais.
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Thanks ladies (and Bob) 'cause I'm assuming you're a blokey.
                    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                    Lorraine

Comment

Although I don't name my sewing machines or my car, I do name all my quilts. (It's like artwork)
                      "What we do for ourselves dies with us.
                      What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."
                      - Albert Pine

Comment

I label all my quilts, and I put a name of sorts on the label. Sometimes it's just the pattern. One I finished earlier this year was simply named 3-D Nine Patch. That's what it's called in the book I took it from. I'm about to start working on one that was called "Raspberry Pie" in the magazine where it was featured. But, my take on the colors looked less "raspberry" and more tropical. So,. I'm going to call it "Miami Pies." I'm giving my daughter a Jellyroll Race quilt soon. I'm labeling it with that name. Years from now, it might be interesting to someone. Maybe. Or not.

Comment

I think "Forest Floor" is a perfect name. I name mine so that I don't have to describe the quilt everytime I say something about it.
                          Donna

Comment

Yes, I name my quilts. They are like my babies, they deserve names. Name it whatever you want. I've had a couple of quilts where the name changed a couple of times before I found the right one. Most of the time the name just comes to me. My latest quilt was Ladders of Love - a Jacob's Ladder baby quilt for my friend's new grandson. Before that it was Love & Gratitude (a QOV for a friend's soldier son). Sometimes the name has more to do with the recipient than the pattern. Who knows. It tells me what it wants to be called and that's the name it's given (unless it's ^&$*%^Y Quilt! Sometime a quilt gives me fits and it gets an inappropriate name for a while)

Have fun with it. It's your quilt do what you want with it. No quilt police here remember.
                            Kathy Crofoot
                            http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

I think naming your quilt is not stupid, it is something that you are creating and you are the one who should name it.
                              Lynn R

Comment

Working...
                              X