Type of thread to use for machine quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type of thread to use for machine quilting

I heard that if you use cotton fabric material you should use cotton thread to sew and quilt by machine, before I spend all the money on the expensive thread, is this a true statement?

Re: Type of thread to use for machine quilting

I'm not thinking it is so important for the piecing. It may depend on what kind of thread your machine likes. Some machines are very picky about what tread they work best with. My quilting machine doesn't like the pretty multicolored and expensive threads. I tried to use a multicolored one yesterday, 5 thread breaks in 18" of quilting. Truly it was going to be a long day! Changed to cheapie cotton thread and not one more problem.

Comment

When I started, I bought several sets of colored thread, most of which I still have because I eventually realized that all I really needed for piecing was a white, beige/wheat, and a gray/black, that works for about everything!

So now I buy a large size cone of these when I see them on sale because I am too lazy to keep changing threads for piecing.

Eventually I'll use the pretty colors on something, but it's been three years and I've sporadically used them in quilting, because I even use gray and wheat a lot in FMQ. Find the brand that works and save your thread money for that special thread on a special occasion!

Comment

I've heard that you should used cotton thread with cotton fabrics as well, but then I've also seen some well known quilters that say it's not necessary.

If you do want to stick with cotton thread then I suggest Connecting Threads. It's not expensive at all and seems to work well. It may be a bit lintier than some of the more expensive cotton threads, but I just clean out my bobbin area every time I change it and haven't had any issues.
        Lori

Comment

I use polyester thread for free motion quilting, Superior So Fine #50 and matching/co-ordinating Bottom Line in the bobbin. Like it very much. I now use Aurifil cotton thread for piecing exclusively because it gives me such beautiful stitches and a perfect 1/4" seam but I have tons of Connecting Threads cotton if I need or want to match. With the excellent quality of polyester thread today it is not so much of an issue as it was in yesteryear but I'm sure purists would disagree. It's whatever you are happy with and have luck with in your own machine IMHO.

Comment

My experience is quite limited. I have been frustrated trying to use standard threads from the fabric store. Not because my machine balks at it - but because it doesn't feed well. I get all kinds of messes with thread wrapped around the spindle, caught in the little cut on the spool's edge, and issues with the spool not turning well. The spool cap that came with my machine helps some - but that's not foolproof, either. My machine seems to like the really large spools. They just feed better. But, the big spools of cotton thread I currently have are really linty and make a mess. So, I kept looking for something else. I do a lot of machine embroidery and have hundreds of spools of polyester machine embroidery thread. I read a recommendation from someone online (Leah Day, I think...but not sure) who uses that type of thread for FMQ. I've quilted one project with it and must say I'm quite happy so far. I think what it comes down to is testing many different types. It's amazing how fussy these machines are!

Comment

I have been quilting for about 2 years or so .when I bought my new sewing machine it came with 150 reels of different coloured thread in every shade its a mixed blend,works great.
              love and hugs Edwina .x

Comment

If you are going to quilt on your regular sewing machine you can use any thread you want, just make sure you adjust the tension accordingly. Depending on what look you are going for.
                Lynn R

Comment

I have a Laura Ashley, sewing and embroidery combo machine. When I use this machine, I use my embroidery thread both small and large spools on both quilting and embroidery projects. It works BEAUTIFULLY.

I have a smaller Brother sewing and embroidery combo. This machine seems to work better with the smaller spools of the embroidery thread and Coats and Clark spools of thread.

Which do I prefer. I think ALL of my work looks better with the embroidery threads. They are more vibrant colors and sturdier threads , so I think they give a nicer look. IMOP.

But I think it comes down to what your machine likes and what you can afford.
                  I work to support my sewing and quilting habits.
                  Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....:icon_razz:

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

Comment

Working...
                  X