FMQ vs SITD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ vs SITD

I need to learn to quilt not tie my quilts. Where do you start FMQ or SITD? I've read that stitching in the ditch isn't as easy as it looks. I have no experience with either one. Where do you all suggest I start?

Re: FMQ vs SITD

The ditch is the first step. Once you get control over that, then try FMQing.

Comment

I'm going to tell you, stitch in the ditch is a pain in the posterior! I can FMQ, just kept practicing at it until I "got" it. Something I tried recently, that I think anyone could do is wavy line quilting. It was fast, easy and fun with the added plus of not having to worry about keeping anything straight or in a specific area. Some machines have a big serpentine stitch, mine doesn't, so I just wiggled and waved my quilt to make my wavy lines. You use a walking foot or the even feed if your machine has it.

K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

wow, that picture is big.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I like that Karen! I'm going to try that one.

Annie this site is cool to study how to use your walking foot. You can do a lot of things with it.

Petit Design Co: 31 Days of Walking Foot Quilting
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I would suggest doing what Karen said. SITD is NOT easy. You are better of stitching next to the ditch than trying to stay in it. You can also quilt straight lines in a grid pattern. I think you need to try what is easiest for you, based on the size of your project.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I agree about SITD...mine is usually SNTD. When I think ditch, I think large, deep culvert. There is nothing large nor deep about a quilt ditch! If you can live with near the ditch (and I can) it's great. If you can't, you might prefer another quilting finish.
              Judy

Comment

Maybe watch this and see if it helps.

Quilty: How to Stitch in the Ditch - YouTube
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Annie Pearl View Post
                  I need to learn to quilt not tie my quilts. Where do you start FMQ or SITD? I've read that stitching in the ditch isn't as easy as it looks. I have no experience with either one. Where do you all suggest I start?
                  The key to SITD is to have patience and go slow. I went very slow and you couldn't tell I did SITD and that was my first time. It's not hard. Go SLOWLY.
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                  Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Grid quilting or quilting wavy lines is another option as mentioned.. Simpler than stitch in the ditch for me, though even my wavy lines using the walking foot on a big quilt have uneven stitches. : (
                    I think free motion quilting depends a lot on how bothered you are by uneven stitches. It makes me a little nuts, but my daughter enjoys it and uneven stitches don't bother her at all.

I've recently taken another class on machine quilting. I'd advise you to look at Craftsy or other you tube videos for help. Good luck!

Comment

I use a presser foot that has a guide which keeps you in the "ditch". Actually when I do SITD I do not use the walking foot and fortunately have not had a problem yet. Another tip I've heard is press the intersection seams open so there aren't any "bumps" which can throw you off course.

Comment

There have been a lot of good suggestions here, and I hope that nothing I say will seem to contradict the good advice you've received. In particular I like Karen's wavy line quilting method. Her photo gave me one of those "Why didn't I ever think of that?" moments.

My quilting journey has been a little different. I began with SITD and a good attitude. In other words, I didn't care when my stitch jumped out of the ditch. To this day, those not-in-the-ditch stitches do not bother me a bit.

Once I was ready to move to FMQ, I bought a Juki and a Little Gracie quilt frame off Craigslist. To this day, I haven't been able to FMQ on a regular sewing machine. As I said, seeing Karen's photo may open up new possibilities for me, but I'm not there yet.

Please post your first quilting. We'd love to see what you do!
                        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                          The key to SITD is to have patience and go slow. I went very slow and you couldn't tell I did SITD and that was my first time. It's not hard. Go SLOWLY.
                          I agree. I took it slow and had no problems.
                          Lori

Comment

Karen, I love your quilting!!! So much more movement & it gives a great texture to the quilt..
                            I am guessing this might be easier than SITD, but I may be wrong...
                            Good job.
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Karen... I love your wavy lines quilting..... I've done something along that line.....big curves used as quilting "lines"....

I'm real not so good at SITD...it's a lot harder than it looks... I like to do a wide meander....

The wavy lines, of any sort.....are a great solution. Easy, with no pressure to "get it right ".

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X