Quilt Help/advice ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Help/advice ??

I could use some help. What pattern and material would you suggest for a 14 yr old boy? He is my oldest grandson and his birthday is in May so I need to get started. They just moved and he got his own room for the first time and he requested orange walls. He likes soccer, Legos and video games. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Re: Quilt Help/advice ??

I would suggest looking for a novelty fabric(s) with a soccer motif and some orange in the print. I think a JRR quilt is a good pattern for a boy - use strips of the novelty fabrics and coordinating solids or geometrics.

Another thought - You could also use the D9P in primary colors (like legos), orange and this fabric?

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=soccer
    Donna

Comment

Ok,first off I did NOT do this quilt.
      I take photo's of peoples work for my guild and someone shared this last week. Thought it was appropriate and an idea for you.

CQL3_1Mar14.jpg

Comment

Does he have a fav team..... What about his school colors? What are his fav colors?

Theme fabric is good, too.... I did a super easy one with cats on it for DD's oldest boy a few months ago.

You could choose a few patterns you are comfortable with, and let him choose the one he likes best.... Same with fabrics...

Good luck!
        Last edited by easyquilts; March 11, 2014, 02:40 AM.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I love a rail fence for males. It goes together quickly and there are so many variations! Uses strip sets. If you do Pinterest, do a search. So many different layouts and it could be done with the colors of his favorite team if he has one
          Last edited by Auntpiggylpn; March 11, 2014, 06:27 AM.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I typed in teen boy quilts on pinterest - something might spark an idea
            Pinterest

Here is one specifically in black/white/orange http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...62430ecd3e.jpg

Norma
            Last edited by songbird857; March 11, 2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

My grandson was into baseball. I made him two quilts with a baseball theme - one twin and one full size. Since he is 14, you might consider the school colors that his high school will have. The last quilt I made him was a flannel rag quilt that was full of all kinds of sports themes. It keeps him warm at Michigan Tech in the UP of Michigan.

Comment

This is the pattern I used to make one for my 14 yr old son
                Moda Bake Shop: Bella Crossing Quilt
                Dena :icon_hi:

Comment

I second the motion on school colors. I made several for young people many years back. They lugged them to football games. Then, after they graduated, I saw those quilts at church picnics and such. Can't go wrong, IMHO. Theme quilts MIGHT be too "young" from them to use later on. Or not...depends on the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by sassygranny View Post
                    I second the motion on school colors. I made several for young people many years back. They lugged them to football games. Then, after they graduated, I saw those quilts at church picnics and such. Can't go wrong, IMHO. Theme quilts MIGHT be too "young" from them to use later on. Or not...depends on the theme.
                    Great point on theme quilts. Something that he'll still be happy to show off years down the road would be nice.

Comment

14 is a hard age. If he doesn't have a favorite sports team I would go with something manly like flannels or camo or solids.

Comment

I vote for Rail Fence. I made this for my 10 year old nephew and he loves it.
                        Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilt # 9 - Blue Rail Fence
                        Preeti
                        http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've made quilts for my niece and nephew using their favorite college team's colors (and some of their fabric). I just used simple squares and rectangles intaggered rows, sashed between rows in black (one of the colors). They were surprisingly huge hits. I'd think his high school team colors or orange/blue might be good.

Comment

High school colors are good and pretty much any bold, solid "boy" colors.

I would be careful about trying to find and use lego, video game or sports team themed fabric, only because 14 is kind of a transition age - boys seem to outgrow the "kid" stuff all of a sudden and are also notoriously fickle about favorite sports teams. Obviously not all boys, but my experience with my almost 17 year old and his friends tells me this is generally the rule, rather than the exception.
                            However, anything coming from gramma will always be cherished, I'm sure, so go with what your heart tells you he will love.

Comment

Working...
                            X