Irish Chain block issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Chain block issue

I am making an Irish Chain quilt. I have sewn and cut all the strips of fabric. I am now in the process of sewing them into 9 patches. But the blocks refuse to meet together. Here is an exampleIMG_9598.jpg The white on every single block is giving me trouble. Normally if the corners are a little off, I have a little wiggle room to help them match but not with these. How noticeable will this be when the quilt is done? And any suggestions.

Thank you

Re: Irish Chain block issue

You might have been a little off in cutting or once in a while your seam got a bit fatter than 1/4 inch.

That said, your colors are light enough that once it is quilted and washed and dried and nice and crinkly, I don't think it will be all that noticeable.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

What pretty fabrics! I have just ordered the fabric I plan to use for an Irish Chain Quilt!
      Show us a picture of this when it is done.
      I personally am not perfect and have always embraced my flaws, I figure people on down the line, grandchildren great grandchildren will know I did things with love not perfection. My scrapbooking shows that well, and I think the little "flaws" if you want to even call them that just show my personality a little bit. As hard as I was on myself as I was with my first quilt, I think I like the process more if I "don't sweat the small stuff"
      Dayna

Comment

Thank you for your help and ideas. I am going to put the rest of the blocks together and decide whether to continue making it into an Irish Chain or do a simple 9 patch with sashing as the blocks are not coming out square (6 by 6 1/2 in some spots - should be 6 1/2 square right now). I have several options of what to do with the blocks.
        My husband got home and took a look - he personally doesn't care what pattern I do because he says "I'm just sleeping under it, not inspecting it." He did help me to figure out where the error was. Some of the precut jelly roll stripes are cut at 2 1/4" wide instead of 2 1/2" wide. One would not think that a 1/4" would make that big of a difference but it does. I do like the fabric and will for sure be using the fabric to make a quilt for our bed.

Comment

Having just done several Irish chains, I feel your pain. 1/4" difference is like the Grand Canyon when you are trying to match corners. My thought it was a cutting problem, and that is too bad about the strip being so far off to throw your whole project off. Hopefully you can make it work.

Comment

Working...
          X