applique fraying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

applique fraying

Looked at a quilt I made for my nephew 6 months ago and the applique is fraying. It looks like the fabric shrunk and pulled away from the stitch, any clue why this would happen? I'm a little bummed about it.

Re: applique fraying

Bump...no one?

Comment

Was it fused appliqué or the kind where you turn under the edges? Could you post a photo? That might help.

sigpic
      Marci

Comment

What type of stitch did you use? I agree a pic would be helpful.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Good question, bumping it up for you. Do you have a pic?
          Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I haven't learned to applique yet so I can't offer any suggestions, but I do hope you find a way to fix it.

Comment

Yes, I'd like to know what kind of appliqué before I can help. Machine or hand?
              SandyWhite
              Ocala, Florida
              http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi,
                I'm not sure if this will help without having seen the problem but sometimes Fray-check or fray-stop can really help with appliqué satin stitching that wants to unravel.
                Hope you find a solution to this,
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertopquilter View Post
                  Looked at a quilt I made for my nephew 6 months ago and the applique is fraying. It looks like the fabric shrunk and pulled away from the stitch, any clue why this would happen? I'm a little bummed about it.
                  Sometimes inexpensive flannel will do this. Also, if you used one fabric for the quilt and another for the applique they might have shrunk at different rates - if you don't prewash flannel it may noticeably shrink (causing your applique to pull). Of course, this is all assuming flannel as the fabric. As others have said, a pic and more info would be helpful

Comment

It was machine blanket stitched using fusible webbing. The fabric used was muslin. I wish I would have snapped a pic, but it just looks like the edges let go from the stitch, like they shrunk even though I pre-washed everything. I have been reading a lot about applique I most people recommend using a ball point needle, in this case I used a regular quilting needle. Could that have caused this?

Comment

Ok, I asked my SIL to send a pic. IMG_4333.jpg

Comment

Bump.........

Comment

First, let me explain what I observed from your picture. It appears that you did a raw edge finish. Muslin is not the best for this technique unless you are using high quality muslin like Moda or the Legacy brand from Joanns. For an item that will be washed frequently, I would fuse a light weight interfacing to the fabric first, and then iron on your fusible webbing. Then cut out your piece. This will give the fabric some extra stability and also helps to hide the fabric show-through from the main fabric.

Your zig zag stitch looks too narrow and may not have caught enough of the fabric on the applique and the background fabric. I would use a wider zig zag and shorten up the length.

Now to fix this: You can one of two things. Remove the damaged applique and replace it using your muslin, interfacing and webbing. It will take a little time to rip out and redo, but it will probably look the best.

Or, you can make another piece and cut it just a smidge larger and redo the piece by placing the new piece over the old one. Use your muslin, but reinforce it first. Interface first, add webbing, and cut out about 1/8th inch larger. Then adhere and re-stitch. This will cover the damaged piece but will also add a little more thickness.

Hope this helps. It can be fixed. It just depends on how much time your want to spend. Good luck and I hope my comments have not been too critical. I think the use of applique work on a quilt gives the work a very special touch from the heart.

Comment

Not critical at all! I have been researching applique for weeks now and this is the first time I have seen anything about a raw edge finish! I am planning on doing a applique panel for a baby quilt, you can see the post in my profile, and I am now wondering if I need to try a different technique? Everything I search says to use a raw edge....now I am lost!

Comment

Here's a link to what my next project will be...should I use a raw edge on this?
                              http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/qui...look-hard.html

Comment

Working...
                              X