white on White fabric.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white on White fabric.

While I'm thinking of it.....can you see the little swirls on the white fabric? (trust me, it really is white)

When you are using fabric, such as white on white that has a front side to it, but it's easy to use the other side,
    What do you do to keep from using the back side??? ( I've done this on two different quilts)

I really thought I had every block of white turned to the correct side and after i picked all those pesky little threads and spray basted it on to the batting, I noticed that TWO blocks are turned to the wrong side!!!!!!! Dag summit! and I thought I looked at everyone under the light before I pieced it!!! ARGH.

So what do you do to keep this from happening?
    Attached Files

Re: white on White fabric.

I have to look at it very very VERY carefully!!!! The BOM last year had white on white in every block.....had to be on my toes when sewing it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I did that exact thing on one of my projects.
      I now use a water soluble marking pen and make a very small F (for front) in the corner, in the seam allowance, on the right side of the fabric.
      Just a very light mark so it doesn't bleed right through the fabric, and that way if you are seeing a backwards "F" you know you got the wrong side.
      Seems to work for me, but I had to figure that one out the HARD WAY.
      Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
      Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

I hold each piece up to a good light source before I start stitching, just in case I've reversed it. The right side is usually quite pronounced and I can see it well if the light is casting onto it. If I'm sewing at night, I hold it up on an angle toward the ceiling fan light or the desk lamp. If you flip it back and forth, you should be easily able to tell the right side. I'm too lazy to mark each piece!

Comment

I love white on white. But have a very difficult time telling right from wrong at times. So do my quilting ladies. We have started to use the frixion pen to make a small mark on the right side. when we press it is gone so no harm done.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I use one of my Frixion pens and put a mark on the right side. The marks disappearing when you press your block.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I had to respond to this... but only with a very funny story on the pens. I had worked very hard to finish a gift. It was only a throw, but I wanted it to look nice and time was running short. I am not very good at free motion quilting.. to say the least.. so in order to jump in the very next day.. I laid out an easy quilting template and laid out all the lines, etc. and ready to put it on my machine the next morning. Forgetting, of course, that by the next morning every single line had disappeared...... Sometimes even the silliest mistakes can make you laugh instead of going bonkers.!!!!

Comment

I had some trouble with some WOW fabric that I used for a backing. It left white dust all over my machine and the bobbin case looked like I had painted it white. I won't use it for a back again but don't mind having it on the front. I also don't worry about whether it is right side up or not. If I can't tell readily which side it the right side then others won't have a clue either.

Comment

This is one case where an Ott Light comes in handy. I have a small one and it easily shows me which is the right side.

I love white on white for a background. It is so much softer than a plain solid white. And if you have to you can substitute a different white on white print if you run out of the first one and no one but you will ever know. Been there, done that.
                  Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I am working with white on white for a background on a quilt. And I totally understand it is hard to tell a difference. I try to be careful before I sew it to the color fabric. I did finally get an Ott light and it seems to be easier to spot the front quicker.

If I was to the point you are, with it being spray basted to the batting, I would not change it. It would be the "individuality" of my perfect quilt.
                    Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchfabric View Post
                      I had to respond to this... but only with a very funny story on the pens. I had worked very hard to finish a gift. It was only a throw, but I wanted it to look nice and time was running short. I am not very good at free motion quilting.. to say the least.. so in order to jump in the very next day.. I laid out an easy quilting template and laid out all the lines, etc. and ready to put it on my machine the next morning. Forgetting, of course, that by the next morning every single line had disappeared...... Sometimes even the silliest mistakes can make you laugh instead of going bonkers.!!!!
                      LOL. This has happened to me too, and you're right, sometimes you just have to laugh. ...
                      May the road rise up to meet you...
                      May the wind be always at your back...
                      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I've worked with fabric that I had a hard time seeing the front from the back. For me it was easier to put a small straight pin on the front so I would not make a mistake. These are the ones that I use. Dritz® Steel Sequin Pins-Size 8 350/Pkg at Joann.com
                        They are very small, they don't get in my way and they stay in place until after I'm done sewing.
                        Cil
                        A quilt is a blanket of love
                        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Racing Nana View Post
                          I did that exact thing on one of my projects.
                          I now use a water soluble marking pen and make a very small F (for front) in the corner, in the seam allowance, on the right side of the fabric.
                          Just a very light mark so it doesn't bleed right through the fabric, and that way if you are seeing a backwards "F" you know you got the wrong side.
                          Seems to work for me, but I had to figure that one out the HARD WAY.
                          Good idea. I use a very bright light - the kind on a long adjustable 'stem' from Ikea. I shine it at the needle on my sewing machine so I can see the white shining onthe white.

Comment

LOL, I think I should invest in an Ott light. But ladies, I can honestly say that I THOUGHT I looked at every piece of white under the light BEFORE I pieced it. BUT, since I found two corner squares that do not show the swirls, I guess I didn't. HMPH! They are there to stay and I will try not to let my eyes go right to that spot every time I look at it! ARGH!

I guess the big deal is : I tried SOOO hard! LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X