Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batting question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Batting question

    I bought Warm and Naturals from JoAnn's which is a 100% cotton batting. Should I pre-shrink it before I sew it to the quilt? It says it is unnecessary but was unsure if it is a good idea or not. I did not pre-wash/shrink the fabric since it came in pre-cut squares. Thank you!

    #2
    Re: Batting question

    I have never preshrunk any batting. I use Warm & White and it really doesn't shrink much.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


    Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Batting question

      FYI: the W&N batting they sell at Joanns is not 100% cotton. It is 87.5% cotton and 12.5% polyester. The website and even the signage in the store say 100% cotton but if you look at the label on the product it shows the poly content.

      To answer your question- I do not pre-shrink W&N or W&W batting and they are fine.
      Loosely based on a true story.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Batting question

        I use W&N and W&W all the time and never preshrink them.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com


        Scottie Mom Barb

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Batting question

          Ok, thanks everyone. I will look at the W&N label. We were looking for the 80/20 but they were out of the 80/20. However, as far as I know, the 100% cottons are more expensive (that is what the lady there told me) and that is false advertising if it is not 100% cotton. I think it says 100% cotton on the front of the label but I will look at the fine print.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Batting question

            I prefer the Hobbs 80/20 for all my quilting. It can be ordered on line if it's not available locally. JCY

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Batting question

              Originally posted by HollyinWA View Post
              I bought Warm and Naturals from JoAnn's which is a 100% cotton batting. Should I pre-shrink it before I sew it to the quilt? It says it is unnecessary but was unsure if it is a good idea or not. I did not pre-wash/shrink the fabric since it came in pre-cut squares. Thank you!

              No, you don't have to prewash W&W....or any other batting.... At least I never have, and have had no problems.


              Not ore washing the batting allows.the whole quilt to shrink at a fairly uniform rate.. And, if the whole quilt is made out of cotton materials, there will be a wonderful crinkling going on...


              Sandy from Cincinnati


              AKA Kermit

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Batting question

                Same here. No prewashing needed.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Batting question

                  Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                  No, you don't have to prewash W&W....or any other batting.... At least I never have, and have had no problems.


                  Not ore washing the batting allows.the whole quilt to shrink at a fairly uniform rate.. And, if the whole quilt is made out of cotton materials, there will be a wonderful crinkling going on...
                  Thank you, and the second thing you mentioned is exactly what I was thinking.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Batting question

                    Alway use warm and natural from Joann's and never had a shrinkage problem.
                    April

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Batting question

                      Originally posted by JCY View Post
                      I prefer the Hobbs 80/20 for all my quilting. It can be ordered on line if it's not available locally. JCY
                      Thank you. I read about the Hobbs on there. I did not want to have to wait on it but now since it is taking me longer than I expected to figure out what I am doing with my border, I could have ordered it and received it by now. However, I would have liked to order something else with it but I am taking some time to figure out what I need for my next project. The next time I order something, I will order some Hobbs so I can compare.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Batting question

                        Originally posted by QuiltingRN View Post
                        Alway use warm and natural from Joann's and never had a shrinkage problem.
                        Thank is great to know! It feels very nice too!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Batting question

                          Connecting Threads has a sale on their batting right now. I just ordered King size Hobbs 80/20 for $19.99.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X