• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amarillo19
    replied
    Re: Sitting pretty

Originally posted by Slokarma View Post
    I use the $15 swivel / computer / task chair from Walmart. It is narrow enough to fit in small knee holes and is relatively comfortable. I like it. BUT, my one complaint is that I have it at it's highest (point and I'm about 5'5") Which is ok for the table my machine sits in, but for me, it is too short to sit at a regular height table, especially if a machine is sitting on top and not set in the table. And when FMQing, I like to sit taller and look down up on the quilt . I need to add another sewing chair too.
    I have the height problem also, even though I use an armless office chair. I bought two (should have gotten 3) foam squares from Joann's. They put me almost as high as I should be and it's a lot easier on my shoulders.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I would recommend trying out the chair if at all possible. I had my eye on a chair that I thought would be perfect but once I sat in it, it just hit my back in the wrong places. Adjustable, swiveling, and rolling are awesome things to have in chair.

Leave a comment:

• BobW
    replied

I use an task chair with lumbar support. It has arms that adjust in several different positions, swivels and rolls.

Leave a comment:

• janbee
    replied

I have found that moving my sewing machine closer to my body is very important. Many sewing machine cabinets have pre-cut holes that place the sewing machine too far away from the body causing me to hunch over instead of sitting with my back straight. My husband and I found a piece of wood covered in laminate at the local lumberyard. He added wooden table legs, also available at the lumberyard. Then we experimented with placement of my machine on the table top. He cut a hole in the top of the table that placed the machine much closer to my body than a sewing machine cabinet would. He then used braces to make a shelf using the part he cut out of the top to hold my machine securely so it is level with the top of the table. It is super for free motion quilting as well as, piecing. Also, I personally prefer an office chair with arms and the ability to raise and lower the height of the chair. This completely solved my back pain and cost less than $100.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I bought a used secretarial chair from the State at a surplus sale. It weights a ton, is totally adjustable and has great adjustable lumbar support. I'm fairly short and I have trouble with chair seats being too deep. If I sit back in the chair my knees don't bend well and if I scoot up so I can bend my knees my back gets sore. The old chair is ideal for me. It's not pretty but I don't care.

I highly recommend spending a little more $$ for adjustable lumbar support.

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
    Through this forum I have learned all about fabric, rulers, thread, sewing machines...so much....for which I am very grateful. Now can someone tell me how to sit in a chair at the machine without getting up after an hour with an incredibly sore back? CLEARLY the chair I am using is NOT suitable. I'm guessing that an office-style armless chair would be better. So does anybody have a favorite chair that allows them to sew all day long?
    I totally understand. I took 3 days off from quilting (huge sacrifice), painkillers and hot showers to soothe my sore neck. When you find a good solution, please do share. Hope you feel better soon.

Leave a comment:

• Lightwriter
    replied

I have a computer chair without arms. Comfortable, but no matter what I sit on, I have to get up and down a lot due to back issues. My old back (which has real issues) gets really stiff. Sew awhile, press awhile, rest some in there also. No way could I sew for more than a few minutes without moving around!

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

I was also going to suggest a computer chair with lumbar support. Crucial for long periods of sewing.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

My husband picked up an old upholstered office chair from a neighbor, who was going yo pitch it... That was probably 12-13 years ago, and I still love it... I'm short, so it is great to have a comfortable chair.... That can be adjusted to fit me.

Leave a comment:

• Slokarma
    replied

I use the $15 swivel / computer / task chair from Walmart. It is narrow enough to fit in small knee holes and is relatively comfortable. I like it. BUT, my one complaint is that I have it at it's highest (point and I'm about 5'5") Which is ok for the table my machine sits in, but for me, it is too short to sit at a regular height table, especially if a machine is sitting on top and not set in the table. And when FMQing, I like to sit taller and look down up on the quilt . I need to add another sewing chair too.

Leave a comment:

• LorraineRob
    replied

I use a computer chair. If I'm not sat at the sewing machine, I'm sat at the computer (except when I'm watching Home & Away or cooking dinner lol). I have a terribly sore back because I don't sit up straight. I'm a terrible sloucher. Sometimes, I realize and sit up but it's not long before I've slunk down again. As for the sore back...I suffer!

Well, one has to suffer for one's art, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• Learner quilter
    replied

I use a computer chair.. Watch your posture, feet flat on the floor, ankle joints, knee joints and hip joints all at right angles. Check height of table don't stoop over. It is like being at a typewriter for hours, only more fun ...

Leave a comment:

• vchale
    replied

I took one of the office chairs from our computer room that was height adjustable and took the arms off. I'd say go to someplace where they sell them and try them out. I like the swivel and adjustable but it was easy to take the arms off.

Leave a comment:

• jsmetcalf
    started a topic Sitting pretty

Sitting pretty

Through this forum I have learned all about fabric, rulers, thread, sewing machines...so much....for which I am very grateful. Now can someone tell me how to sit in a chair at the machine without getting up after an hour with an incredibly sore back? CLEARLY the chair I am using is NOT suitable. I'm guessing that an office-style armless chair would be better. So does anybody have a favorite chair that allows them to sew all day long?
Working...
X