Have you used yarn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you used yarn

Has anyone used yarn to hold your quilt together insead of quilting it?

Re: Have you used yarn

I did some one that were tied with yarn. Be sure to get some lightweight/small yarn since some is fat and very hard to pull through the fabric sandwich.

Comment

Years ago my mom and I tied a quilt with yarn. Just make sure you tie them close enough together.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

When I was a teenager and learning how to quilt, we used crochet thread. It's a lot easier on your hands than yarn.
        Vonnie

Comment

I used embroidery thread when I tied a quilt. It holds well and the quilt has been washed a lot.

Comment

My mother-in-law's church quilting group uses yarn to tie their quilts. They need the speed of it so they can get the quilts off to the charities.

My mother in law is 87 years old. Using yarn to keep the quilt together is easiest for her as well.

Comment

This is a full size quilt my mom made probably 35 years ago using yarn to tie. My husband uses this everynight when hes laying on the couch watching TV...my mom would be so pleased to know how much he loves it.
              Attached Files
              TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I have used yarn and have no complaints!
                May your day be blessed. :icon_wave:

Shea Michelle

Comment

My grandmas used yarn all the time to tie quilts. I have used embroidery floss (all six strands at once) to tie quilts.

Comment

Hi Anita,
                    I just finished quilting my King Sized Hour Glass quilt using size 10 Crochet Thread, size 22 Sharp Chenille/large eye needles and "Big Stitch" quilting. I LOVE IT!!!!! I just finished the matching pillow shams and am figuring out a bed runner, then I will post All, together as a matched set. But, check out "Big Stitch quilting on Pinterest and see what you think. Most that I saw were using size 8 Pearl crochet thread, I tried some and it was just that little bit too big, you had to use a larger needle, like a size 20 or 18 and it was too much work to pull through the fabric sandwich. The size 10 with a size 22 sharp was perfect, (and cheaper, and way easier to find!) Good Luck.
                    sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Our church uses yarn to make quilts for World Relief. We use fabrics given to us and produce great quilts for someone. Since some backings may even be polyester, it could be hard to pull the yarn through to tie it. Many of us use a household plier to pull the needle through. It works like a charm.

Comment

All of the things mentioned can be used to tie a quilt. It just depends on the look you want. Yarn is more obvious than the floss, crochet thread, or perle cotton. It also requires a larger needle and is harder to pull through. That's why I use floss or perle cotton. Most of my crochet thread is white so have not used that. I also use a curved upholstery needle. It will go down and back up easier than a straight needle. Tying a quilt is a great traditional way to quickly finish a quilt.

Comment

Working...
                        X