What do you do with your old needles??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with your old needles??

I change the needle on my Bernina 750 after every project. I store the old needles in an old pill container because I hate the thought of just throwing them in my trash....now what do I do..just throw the whole container away and start with a new one? It's not full yet..just wondering what I will do when it does get full.

Re: What do you do with your old needles??

I dispose of mine one at a time by laying it on a piece of packing tape...then adding another layer of packing tape on top of that. Then roll the packing tape/needle sandwich up so that the business end is buried pretty deeply in the packing tape - and hit it one more time with another piece or two of tape. And then toss it in the trash.

Comment

I would just throw out the container and needles and start over. These aren't the type of needles for medical purposes. No special handling is necessary if they are in a pill bottle with a lid.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I just throw mine away in the bag with the rest of my sewing trash. I don't put them in anything.
        Cathryn

Comment

I put mine with the used diabetic needles. Just because I don't want sharp things in the trash. I'm wondering though if needles can be recycled? We have our bins picked up every week. I may check with our recycling company.

Comment

I chuck mine in the recycling bin. Since our trash pickup uses the trucks to dump the cans and not people I feel safe knowing no one will get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
              I chuck mine in the recycling bin. Since our trash pickup uses the trucks to dump the cans and not people I feel safe knowing no one will get stuck.
              I completely forgot that some people still have PEOPLE that pick up their trash!

We have had the trucks pick it up for so many years now. Even the recycling can is picked up by the truck.
              Cathryn

Comment

I just throw mine in my little sewing room trash can

Comment

I think it is great that you put the needles in the medicine bottles. It will help some animal from getting one stuck in their paw at the land fill (when I was growing up it was called the dump). I have a friend who is diabetic and takes Insulin shots, I drop my needles in the "Sharps" container for her needles.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabricadabra View Post
                    I change the needle on my Bernina 750 after every project. I store the old needles in an old pill container because I hate the thought of just throwing them in my trash....now what do I do..just throw the whole container away and start with a new one? It's not full yet..just wondering what I will do when it does get full.
                    I do the same thing..then just toss the container.
                    :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                      I completely forgot that some people still have PEOPLE that pick up their trash!

We have had the trucks pick it up for so many years now. Even the recycling can is picked up by the truck.

It's new this year. But they still have to get out of the truck when other people pile garbage and cardboard boxes next to the cans.

I stopped putting needles in my sewing room can when the dog got into it. Now needles and rotors blades go straight into the bin.

Comment

I use old prescription bottles. Actually right now I have a large one just collecting any sharps in my sewing room. Bent pins, old needles, etc.
                        Karen
                        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I put mine in a small sharpies container we got at the pharmacy....same for the rotary blades.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I put mine in a Cracker barrel syrup bottle. They are glass and I know nobody will get stuck when I throw them out. I have a sharps container I put the bottles in and it will take me years to fill up the sharps container. I will deal with it when that time comes.

Comment

You can use them as nails to hang things with. I used some to put up a wall hanging at Christmas time. They went straight through the edge of the binding and made such tiny holes right up near the molding that there was no need to patch the wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X