How easy is it REALLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy is it REALLY

.......to do a scallop edge on a queen bed following Jenny's tut? So often our dear Jenny says that things are so so easy and then it takes me forever. I'm a sort of new quilter. I took a class last year and started a sampler quilt with lots of angles and stars so I would love to have a curved - scalloped - edge to finish it off. I've waited to finish this quilt until my skills got better and now I'm ready to have a go at it. Everything takes me 3X as long but I can put the time into it if I can make it work and not leave it unfinished. Obviously you don't know me but could an average beginner do a scallop - do you think?
    Thanks! - Lilly

Re: How easy is it REALLY

I did a scalloped edge on a lap quilt when I had just started quilting. It took some time, but wasn't hard. I used the scalloped edge/wave ruler - I think it's from Eleanor Burns. It really does make the quilt look great.
    Good luck!!
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Remember to cut your binding on the bias.
      Vonnie

Comment

Yes you can do it!

Mark your scallops, (I also love the scallops, vines and waves ruler). Then sew your bias binding on, using your drawn line as your guide. Do NOT cut the scallops out until AFTER you get the binding sewn on.

Take your time when sewing. I don't use pins, but use a few of the Clover clips to hold it down while I am hand sewing it to the back.

I LOVE a scalloped edge. Yes it is time consuming to hand sew it down, but so worth it.
        Cathryn

Comment

Just go slow and make sure you do all of the drawing/tracing out the scallops before you cut anything. And just double check it before you start cutting. The scalloped edge/wave ruler also has instructions. When I am doing something new, I watch the video a couple of times then watch some of the video, do what Jenny does then watch a little more and do a little more - step by step.
          Don't forget to post pics when you're done.

Comment

I just know you can do this... take your time and start with marking your corners first.. the scallops can be wiggled in-between the corners. It just gives your quilt that extra ohhh, and awwww.
            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
            :icon_wave:

Comment

The Dresden Plate quilt in my album has a scalloped border and it's a very large quilt, 94" square. You will need to use bias binding and the Scallop/curve ruler that jenny uses. The tool made the marking simple. It takes longer to do a scalloped border, but the results are totally worth it. One tip is to make sure you use thread that contrasts with your backing in your bobbin so you can easily see where to sew your binding. For me it was just taking the plunge...I'm positive you can do it.

I made by border extra wide just in case my scallops didn't work out...I planned to trim them off if I changed my mind, lol!!
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you to everyone! Your encouragement and tips have made me decide to take the plunge. Next week, on retreat I hope to finish the quilt and I'll add an extra wide border and use green thread which matches the binding to contrast with the white border. I bought the scallop tool months ago on a dd and I will watch and re-watch the video and then keep it on the screen while I sew. I'll send out the quilt to the long armer and cut my bias binding using Jenny's tut and then slowly and carefully put it on. I guess we're looking at 4-6 weeks before I'm done but I will post pics. After all this work and time I want this to be a real treasure and I am pumped up now to do it. YOu guys are wonderful. Thanks again!

Comment

Mark your scallops but don't cut before you send it to your longarmer. That way they will know what you are planning and can quilt up to the edge. The important thing is to not cut it yet so they have enough material to attach to their machine.

Comment

I've been thinking about this border also, ordered the ruler, but I'm glad I waited because there have been lots of good tips here. Thanks everyone.
                    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I had Reggie quilt my Dresden with the straight unmarked borders. She didn't need me to mark it beforehand.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I did a quilt with the scalloped border and LOVED it. I used the scallop/wave ruler too. Also, I set Jenny and the tutorial up on my laptop, kept it right in front of me and went along with her step by step, backing up if I missed something and followed her instructions exactly. Really helped!
                        sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

I have only been quilting a little over a year now, but I did the scallop boarder on a twin sized quilt using the Ruler mentioned above and Jenny't tutorial, I am very confident that you can do it too.
                          sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Working...
                          X