Toddler with scissors :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toddler with scissors :(

My two yr old got my scissors that I had dropped while hand quilting last night. Before I could notice and react, he had cut several small slits into my quilt. All I could do is cry. The cuts are near the bottom right corner about 2ft up and one ft over. I am a new quilter. Not sure of what to do. I've worked so hard to get this quilt top done. It is a queen sized quilt. Any suggestions would be appreciated. None of the cuts go through to the back. Only top and in one place, the batting.

Re: Toddler with scissors

Would you be able to take that section out and replace it? Post a pic if you have one so we can see it better. Don't worry, it will be ok.

Comment

I tried to get a pic, but can't figure out how to post it. It wouldn't upload for me. I think I can do that. Trying to think on it. How I would do it. I'm sure I will figure it out. I am going to wait a few days and think on it since it is not in an area I'm quilting yet.

Comment

I'm so sorry this happened!! But there are some things you might be able to do to fix it. You can try what mommadeb suggested -- if possible to carefully rip out and replace the affected pieces. If this is not possible/doable for you, you could always try appliqueing some of the same fabric over the cuts. I did this with a quilt I made for my sister a few years ago. It fixed the issue and is barely noticeable.

If you could post a picture, it would help us help you too.
        Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

We must have posted at the same time! But now that I see you haven't quilted over this part yet, that means you also haven't done the binding either. Hard to tell without seeing the quilt and the cuts, but your best best might be to pick out and replace those cut pieces. It could be a bit time consuming, but it usually can be done. Good luck!!
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

image.jpg

It is both white pieces and the beige one on top.

Comment

Well the picture is turned, to the right, not top I guess.

Comment

I will try to get them ripped out and redone. I think it would be best way. It just took some thinking on how to do it. Duh, unbaste and sew it in, then rebaste.

Comment

Sometimes the initial panic locks you up! I know it took a lot to get it to this point, but remember, "It's just fabric" and you cut it up to sew it back together in the first place!

It looks like you can, with a bit of work, replace those bits. From what I can see it looks like you are doing a good job.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. My youngest was always doing something destructive! He got hold of my seam ripper (when he was about 2) and that one had a sharp point on it. He used it to practice his letters - on the wood furniture! When he was about 5 he got my scissors and cut holes in his top sheet so his toes would stick out. He said I had the sheets too tight on the bed.

But, hey, they are so cute when they are sleeping!
                    Vonnie

Comment

Aaaww, sweetie, your little one is trying to imitate you! As a mother, a preschool teacher, and a relatively new quilter, I can relate on several levels. Bless you and your little darlin'. Take a few deep breaths and realize with time and patience, you may create both, a lovely quilt, and a future quilter!
                      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Hey your quilt looks beautiful,
                        toddles can do some pretty strange stuff my oldest son when he was 2 melted crayons on to his light bulb on his table lamp when the whole thing exploded he cried because he had lost the crayons .He has just graduated with a BSC hons Degree they do grow up lol x
                        love and hugs Edwina .x

Comment

Sorry for your troubles (and I did a little giggle). I remember once when my son was a toddler that I had just finished painting his room. He decided to help me when I wasn't looking and grabbed his dad's shoe shine polish and with the dabber made big big black circles on the newly painted walls! Yes, they do eventually grow up!

From what I can see, it looks like the blocks affected are near the edge of the quilt. You should be able to rip out those pieces and replace them. I know, it's a pain, but should not be too hard. Just take your time. If you need more help, just ask here. Hope it all works out.

Comment

This appears to be an easy fix as long as you have left over fabric. I am thinking we all have had to replace a block or two without the assistance of a toddler.

Comment

I'm sure it will all work out. I made a maple leaf quilt and turned two of the blocks wrong in the middle....I ripped those two out of the middle and sewed them back in - so it can be done
                              Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                              I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                              X