Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please share your wisdom.....

Hi everyone....

I'm going to make a black and white star quilt.... using black and white prints for the stars and solid black for the background (with red cornerstones on the sashing).
    As I've said, I'm still struggling with wonky squares and no matter how hard I try .... most of them need a bit of 'squaring up'.

With the strip star block there isn't much (if any at all) room for squaring because the points come allllllmosssst to the edge of the background.

Do you know how to make the background a little bigger so if I need to square up a block I will still have a 1/4 inch seam allowance?

I would so appreciate your help...
    Thanks in advance....
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Please share your wisdom.....

I'm no expert, but sometimes what I do is square up making sure the point is in the bottom corner so I am taking from the inside piece. I hope you know what I mean. I don't cut the point end. Seems to work okay for me. May just be dumb luck! LOL
    Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Mia I hope I can make this clear enough for you to understand, I'm not good drawing little pictures to add to posts but here goes.

Instead of cutting 2.5" squares to sew across the corners of you strips that make the stars, cut 2.5 x 3" rectangles ( or longer if you want to 'float' your stars). Then sew them across the corner the same as normal but when you fold them over the extra length will give you more 'background'. This is like when you sew diagonal seams when joining binding strips, you need to sew carefully corner to corner so the strip opens out straight, and remember the extra length will need to be positioned in opposite directions on each 'leg' of the star. You will need to cut your corner of the block squares by the same extra amount so the block ends up square, so if these were 4.5" you will need to cut them 5", add on whatever the extra length was you added to the flip over squares.

I hope that makes sense, this can be done to many things and is good to do if you wish to 'float' your design so points don't come near the edge and get chopped off. It is used in many of the Mary Ellen Hopkins patterns/books. Mary Ellen pioneered the connector corner method and if you can get any of her books you will be simply amazed at what can be done.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

That does make sense Lynn..... thank you so much. I'm going to work on it tomorrow .....
        I do appreciate your help....both Jo and Lyn
        n
        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
        Mia

Comment

Phew! I'm glad it made sense to you. Those jelly roll stars finish at 11" blocks because that's what you can cut from one strip and I wanted my blocks to be 12" so I did this to increase the block size. With the extra 'background' fabric around the star you can set the blocks without sashing if you want as the stars won't come up close to each other. It gives you more options and NO lost points, EVER!
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I'm really excited to give it a try Lynn and I do appreciate your help. BIG HUGS
            ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
            Mia

Comment

Thank you for asking the question, Mia as well as the input from sunflower and dragonfly. That information is helpful to all of us.
              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
              X