Sigh. Ideas what to do now.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh. Ideas what to do now.....

I bought the Pixie Lagoon jellyroll (by Jinny Beyer) the other day when it was on a DD. Gorgeous batiks in blue/green/purple tones.

Had some white on white yardage I had bought at Joanne's. I bought what was left on the bolt, thinking it would be enough for the Irish Chain I had in mind.

Got through cutting the strips and went through much more fabric than I had imagined. (Didn't have a a reference on how much yardage was needed). Now I have the strips cut and sewn...but not enough yardage to cut all the plain squares I need.

I live 80 miles from that Joanne's and it was the last they had. The next nearest Joanne's is another 80 miles. I looked online and failed to find it. Found the exact same print at Hobby Lobby, but it was beige on beige, not white on white. No interest in touring 2 states to find matching yardage.

So what do I do? Do I use one of the colors in the batiks rather than the white? Is there another pattern that utilizes strips I could use instead? Other ideas?

Any input is appreciated! I am bewildered exactly how to proceed.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Re: Sigh. Ideas what to do now.....

I had that happen once or twice...very irratating, but I improvised and used two different "whites" it came out very nice...

Jo

Comment

I agree,two different whites sounds like a workable plan. Should be able to find another without to much of a problem. Good luck.
      sigpic

Comment

Is the info on the selvage? Maybe we could help look for it.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lightwriter, can you post a close up of the fabric? I have 3 JoAnn's within 15 minutes of me - I know, wow! but maybe I could pick it up and send it to you?? If you still have the receipt there is a sku (how do I know this?? I was just at JoAnn's earlier...) - post the sku and I can call around here and see if they have it in the yardage that you need - also if all of the plain squares are different than your original white but similar - it would look pretty too...
          ... as a side note, I also bought that DD and was thinking of either irish chain or flying geese on white!
          ........oohhh.. I also have hobby lobby.... (and I just keep editing this post... )
          Last edited by songbird857; March 5, 2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

If you could put a picture and more info. we could look for it too and mail it to you.

Comment

Yes post a picture! It might even be in someone's stash! (Ok, now it is out in the open - My name is Ruth and I am addicted to white on white fabrics!!!)

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

white.jpgbeige.jpg

OK, I hope the attached pic is clear enough to be able to tell the white on white pattern. It is very nearly a white on VERY VERY light grey. I bought the white on beige, hoping it was the same but when I got home it was not. I am including a pic of it because you can see the pattern better. I do like the texture I get using it in the nine patch strips.

No info on the selvage. Could not find the receipt. Will be happy to reimburse anyone that can provide fabric (including postage and handling.) Would need enough to have 128 6 1/2" plain squares as well as binding. I live it the middle of nowhere, which does not help me. Don't go out of your way, anyone. I will come up with another plan before I put anyone out.

Ruth, you are not alone. I love white on white instead of solid white. I had used the last I had and bought this to have on hand. I will learn to look for more ample yardage!
                Last edited by Lightwriter; March 5, 2014, 03:31 PM.
                Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Well shoot! I just checked my stash and I do have that one but it is a piece less than 1/4 yd. won't be much help to you! Someone will come along with it I'm sure!!!

i did the math for you and just for 128 squares you are going to need 4 yds
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Auntpiggylpn; March 5, 2014, 04:12 PM.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

Comment

Where did you get the cool calculator? I could use that! Thanks for looking!
                    Connie

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwriter View Post
                      Where did you get the cool calculator? I could use that! Thanks for looking!
                      It is a free app for my iPad but here is a link to an online calculator that does the same thing Quilter's Paradise - The Leader in Laser-Cut and Pre-Cut Kits and Services for the Quilting Market

Comment

Originally posted by Auntpiggylpn View Post
                        Well shoot! I just checked my stash and I do have that one but it is a piece less than 1/4 yd. won't be much help to you! Someone will come along with it I'm sure!!!

i did the math for you and just for 128 squares you are going to need 4 yds
                        cool calculator! I checked my stash and I have one FQ - funny thing is, I just received it today in a big (12 yds worth) white on white bundle of fat quarters that I got on ebay. (I, too, love white on white) I can bring the piece I have to JoAnn's and see if they have anymore, but let me know how much you will need...

Comment

I would really like to have 5 yards if anyone can locate it..minimum of 4 yards...Thanks!! Found the calculator at the Android store for my phone. Thanks, didn't know it existed. I am terrible at Math so it should help a lot!
                          Last edited by Lightwriter; March 5, 2014, 05:12 PM.
                          Connie

Comment

any excuse to run to joann's is good I'll go tomorrow - If you want to PM me your cell # I can let you know if I find it
                            ... of course I understand if you don't want to give that out, so maybe I could just post it here if I do find some?
                            Last edited by songbird857; March 5, 2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

PM me if you have any luck. We will go from there. Thanks!!
                              Connie

Comment

Working...
                              X