Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when should i change the needle on my sewing machine i have a janome quilting companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when should i change the needle on my sewing machine i have a janome quilting companion

I have a janome quilting companion sewing machine ,how often should I change the needle.
    I tend to only peace quilt tops any help would be appreciated .x
    love and hugs Edwina .x

Re: when should i change the needle on my sewing machine i have a janome quilting companion

I am bad about changing the needle doing it only when it breaks or bends. You should be able to hear that the needle is punching the hole louder than before. I would say you should change it when you start a new quilt top. In any case, a sharp needle makes everything work better on the quilt top.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Re: when should i change the needle on my sewing machine i have a janome quilting companion

I try to remember to change my needle every time I start a new quilt top. Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I just went to a thread seminar and it was recommended that the needle be changed every 8 hours of sewing, unless you use a titanium needle. They last twice as long.
        Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

When I worked in piece factories (Key Industries and Levi Strauss) the same protocol counts for home machines. When a needle gets used (depending on the thickness of fabric and what size machine needle you are using); you replace the needle when you hear the "punching" sound or when you check for small "burrs" at the end of the needle....
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I was told that I should change the needle on my Janome every time I start a new project. Since I always have 3-4 things going on at the same time it is tricky to keep track. I change needles when I start the quilting. And keep it to piece the next project.
            Preeti
            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cyndiofthevortex View Post
              I just went to a thread seminar and it was recommended that the needle be changed every 8 hours of sewing, unless you use a titanium needle. They last twice as long.
              Every 8 hours? Really? I couldn't afford to sew!! LOL! I try to change mine with every 2 quilts or there abouts..depending on what I do. I also change it based on 80 for piecing and 90 for FMQ'ing
              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by shermur View Post
                When I worked in piece factories (Key Industries and Levi Strauss) the same protocol counts for home machines. When a needle gets used (depending on the thickness of fabric and what size machine needle you are using); you replace the needle when you hear the "punching" sound or when you check for small "burrs" at the end of the needle....
                Since yo mention that "punching" sound...do you know... I usually use cotton for everything, but use 50/50 polyester/cotton broadcloth for linings. Yesterday I was sewing the quilt part and the sound was not there. Then I switch to make the lining (I was making a cover for my sewing machine) and I started sewing the lining together and that loud punching sound started and lasted the whole time working with the poly blend. I then sewed the two pieces together, and....no sound..

Do you know anything about polyester being harder on needles or why that sound on poly but not cotton? I assume it probably has something to do with the weave and some poly in there, but that is just a guess.
                Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
                  I was told that I should change the needle on my Janome every time I start a new project. Since I always have 3-4 things going on at the same time it is tricky to keep track. I change needles when I start the quilting. And keep it to piece the next project.
                  LOL - me too! I have several in different stages but when quilting I start with a new needle.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I just googled sewing machine needles, how often to change, etc. There is a lot of info. out there at the click of your mouse. I checked Sew Mama Sew, Schmetz needles web site (several good pics), and Threads Magazine - an article called "Preventive Sewing Machine Maintenance." One web site said to change the needle every 4 hours! When I attended the new owner's class after I bought my H. Viking Opal 670, they said to change the needle every 5-7 hrs. A damaged needle can be responsible for skipped stitches and tearing fabrics. I would guess most people probably don't change their needles often enough. Probably don't clean the bobbin area often enough either. Good preventive maintenance makes all the difference in the world in keeping one's machine in tip-top shape. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by cyndiofthevortex View Post

Titanium coated needles last 5 - 8 times longer than an uncoated needle, according to Dr. Bob at Superior thread - Why use Titanium-coated Needles?

I don't keep count, but they definately outlast the uncoated needles.

As to how often a needle should be changed depends a lot on what you have been sewing; have accidently hit a pin or two or have been tugging instead of letting the feed dogs and /or the walking foot do the work (puts stress on the needle shaft).

Comment

I am bad for changing needles. They usually get changed when they break or get bent, Or go thunk thunk thunk. Or i make something sheer or with knit fabric.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I change my needle after every project....needles are not really that expensive if you get them at Joann's when they have a sale on the notions wall! I have a Plano box that I keep my needles in and when I see a sale I check to see what I'm low on and will stock up. I never reuse a needle....I have them in an old pill container don't like the idea of just throwing them in the trash...what should I do with them....hum maybe I'll post this question....

Comment

Working...
                          X