I need idea help...Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need idea help...Please

I am planning to make quilts for each of my girls for Christmas. The goal is to at least have the tops done, so they can open them and then have my mom quilt them for me. Daughter #1 and I decided to use fabrics that she will get on her trip this summer. Daughter #2 chose some retro owl fabric she fell in love with. Daughter #4 is getting some sock monkey fabric and I think I am making a Trip Around the World for her.

My problem is coming up with an idea for Daughter #3. She is 9. She is an artist. Her favorite artist is Henri Matisse. I have looked up his artwork, so I know he worked in a lot of bright colors. He was also an impressionist and highly regarded in modern art.

I don't mind using bright colors. I have no idea what pattern to use. I do need something fairly easy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Jenni :icon_wave: :icon_evil:

Re: I need idea help...Please

Why not try to pick one of his actually masterpieces and recreate it in fabric? there is a simple Blue one with Black figure/person with yellow stars and red heart that would easily make a lovely quilt center panel. Then you could border it with some of the other bright colors as jewels (2x2 squares) for the border?
    Or this one would applique nicely....
    http://www.henri-matisse.net/paintings/cutout_a.jpg
    Sondra J. :icon_wave:

Comment

That is a great idea, thanks. I also found one that is blue with different colored triangles all over it. That should be fairly easy to figure out.

Comment

Bright Batiks would be lovely - something with a modern feel maybe? Have you ever picked up Quilty magazine? Some fun, modern but not too modern patterns... if you go here , https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/ca...by-child-teen/ it will probably give you at least some ideas (also if you see something you like, try to find which quilty mag it was in, rather than just buying the one pattern - makes more sense to buy the mag with other patterns in it too!!)

This one kind of speaks "Matisse" to me, but everyone likes different stuff! (Although I do speak fluent "9 year old daughter" - my girls are 19 and 21 ) https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/pr...aby-child-teen
        Last edited by songbird857; March 5, 2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sondra View Post
          Why not try to pick one of his actually masterpieces and recreate it in fabric? there is a simple Blue one with Black figure/person with yellow stars and red heart that would easily make a lovely quilt center panel. Then you could border it with some of the other bright colors as jewels (2x2 squares) for the border?
          Or this one would applique nicely....
          http://www.henri-matisse.net/paintings/cutout_a.jpg
          What a brilliant idea! I was interested because I have an artsy dd too.

Look at what you could do!
          https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...76.jOMxAbU4Uhc
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

If she is an artist then let her do simple designs that could be appliqued onto the quilt.

Or get a solid jelly roll like a bright yellow and make a jelly roll quilt where you randomly insert triangles in different bright colors.

Or Jenny did a tute on a modern quilt where she used a gray jelly roll and insert half hexies. You could do a bright background.
            Vonnie

Comment

I know nothing about art, but maybe something like if his style is lines...use strips in the quilt of her favorite color shade. I love stars using the flying geese method...make stars with the bright colors and thestars are quick and easy. Or maybe a Trip Around the World pattern with the bright colors . Good luck!

I made quilts for each of my grand kids for christmas last year and I used their favorite "thing" as the theme.
              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I now have some ideas about where to go with this. I saw several of Matisse's paintings that I think I can work with. It will need to be pieced because I do not applique well at all. It will at least be Matisse inspired.

I am trying to work with favorite things for the girls. #1 is having autograph blocks and fabrics from her trip to Turkey this summer. #2 loves owls. She is getting a Falling Charms quilt using a retro colored owl print. She calls it her "Owlvalanche" quilt (an avalanche of owls). #4 refers to herself as "The Sock Monkey Queen of the Universe", so she is getting a sock monkey quilt.

Comment

Working...
                X