which long arm quilting machine to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which long arm quilting machine to buy?

Hi all, I am looking to maybe buy a long arm quilting machine and all the choices out there...any one own one that they love or info on ones to stay away from? I am using a Babylock right now as a rental at a shop 45 minutes from me at this time.

Barb

Re: which long arm quilting machine to buy?

Are you going to get a computer guided machine or hand guided?! I think that is the great equalizer in choices. The computer guided ( statler Stitcher on Gammill, crown Jewel BabyLock) MAJOR MONEY! I am going from an entry level Tin Lizzie clone ( Pfaff ) to possibly jumping up to the stratosphere of computer guided machines, and I have looked at those two machines. Can't say I've sern any more models than those two. Going to look at Innovis before deciding for sure.

Comment

I have only quilted on a Baby Lock. Only quilted a small piece 42 x 56 and then a larger queen sized quilt so far. All free hand with the Baby Lock Crown Jewel. I plan on just doing hand for now. I have dealers for Baby Lock and Handi Quilter in the area only. HQ in town, BL about 45 minutes away in next state. I live in Oregon.

Comment

I really like my Handiquilter with the ProStitcher, which is the computerized program. It's user friendly and Handiquilter offers a lot of free phone support if there is not a dealer nearby as in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by bfurlong View Post
          I have only quilted on a Baby Lock. Only quilted a small piece 42 x 56 and then a larger queen sized quilt so far. All free hand with the Baby Lock Crown Jewel. I plan on just doing hand for now. I have dealers for Baby Lock and Handi Quilter in the area only. HQ in town, BL about 45 minutes away in next state. I live in Oregon.
          I have the Babylock & I really like it, no computer system though. In case you aren't aware, Handiquilter makes the Babylock. They are essentially the same machine. If you liked sewing on the Babylock, you'll probably like the Handiquilter.
          May the road rise up to meet you...
          May the wind be always at your back...
          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Don't tell anyone I said this, but avoid Husqvarna . . .
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Have the BabyLock Crown Jewel - Love it!
              It has the option if adding the computerized stitching later
              It is the same machine as the HandiQuilter (made on the same assembly line)
              I "test drove" a number of them at a long arm dealer/retreat center near me called quiltfrog.
              They have About 8-10 models on their floor that you can try out.

Liked the BabyLock the best, personally
              The Juki sure seems popular too
              Was in there today and the owner of the store said she prefers the crown jewel over all the others when she quilts.
              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Oh, another thing with the Babylock. Mine isn't the least picky about what thread I use, cheap or expensive, cotton, poly or specialty threads, it just doesn't care, just keeps sewing beautifully. And I've never had any problems with the tension, I check the bobbin tension each time I change & that's it. It's simple to make any slight adjustment it might need.
                Good luck & have fun with whatever machine you choose.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

If you're not in a big hurry, check out MQX West in October in Oregon. There are lots of big machine quilting shows, and large general quilting shows throughout the US. Keep your eyes opened for them. Most large longarm manufacturers will be present there, if not themselves then at least on of their dealer/reps will be present

MQX Quilt Festival - Pacific Northwest - Home

Oops just noticed the show in Oregon isnt until 2015- bit of a wait. Still lots of other shows available to visit.

Comment

I agree with Denis. Do some searching and find quilt shows or shops where the machines will be on display to "test drive". Different brand machines feel and move differently. You are looking for the one that "fits" you, and the best way to find out is to try them. It may take awhile to try all the different brands, but this will be worth it. It's a big purchase, so take the time to research and try before you buy

Once you find what machine you like, don't be afraid to look for a used machine. They pop up for sale all the time when folks are upgrading to newer, larger, or computerized machines and want to sell their "starter" machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                      Don't tell anyone I said this, but avoid Husqvarna . . .
                      Well now you've got us curious. More information, please.

Comment

I don't know anything about the Husqvarna quilting machine, but I have 3 Husqvarnas -- a Sapphire 850 for regular sewing, an SE and a Diamond for sewing and machine embroidery -- and I love all of them. Never had any trouble with either one.

Comment

Jean...I played with an Innova today at the IHQF...oh my, my, my! Can you say...smooth sailing! Loved it!

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          Are you going to get a computer guided machine or hand guided?! I think that is the great equalizer in choices. The computer guided ( statler Stitcher on Gammill, crown Jewel BabyLock) MAJOR MONEY! I am going from an entry level Tin Lizzie clone ( Pfaff ) to possibly jumping up to the stratosphere of computer guided machines, and I have looked at those two machines. Can't say I've sern any more models than those two. Going to look at Innovis before deciding for sure.
                          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I Too have 3 Husqvarnas the designer se, the sapphire 850, and the Ruby none of them have ever given me any problems, I now own a Pfaff longarm with the computer, I was told Pfaff and Husqvarna is now made by the same company. I have had it over a year and no problems. My dealer is wonderful, with lifetime classes or I can call anytime if I have aproblem. Service is one of my top priorities in buying a machine.

Comment

Working...
                            X