squaring blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

squaring blocks

I have a newbie question. I am making, for the first time, a block made up of lots of 2 1/2" squares. My blocks did not come out to the size the pattern said they would. My 1/4" seam is a bit fat. So, I now have to size and square all these blocks down to 9" square when the pattern says they should be 10 1/2" square. Will this make the blocks look "off"? Because the outside blocks will be smaller then the inside blocks?? I am half way through making these blocks and I am frustrated. Also, the quilt will be much smaller then I would like. I would have to order more material, but I am thinking of just adding on another border to make it the size I would like. Thanks!

Re: squaring blocks

Could you maybe add sashing to the smaller blocks to make them all the same size? If you post a picture maybe someone will have a better idea. Good luck.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Yes, with that much difference in the overall block size, you block would look "off". You need to come up with a Plan B.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That's probably more the road to making a new quilt pattern . . . (sometimes I do that!!)
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Just make sure you always sew with a "scant 1/4" & square every block in the quilt. JCY

Comment

I"ve done the same thing when I first started a 9 patching. It does make a difference. And I couldn't figure out how to fix it..so I just started over. I hadn't gotten to far...just 3 blocks. But you could just alter the pattern or create a new one..how about leaving them as is and cutting them into triangles and sewing the tri's together? I don't think there is anyway you can save what you have to be what the pattern says.
            Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I have a similar problem.....I cut my squares to 6" when they should have been 9 1/2.....I just figured my star in the middle would be smaller....now I'm putting it together and some of my points don't match up....I'm totally frustrated !!

Comment

Originally posted by estrogen View Post
                I have a similar problem.....I cut my squares to 6" when they should have been 9 1/2.....I just figured my star in the middle would be smaller....now I'm putting it together and some of my points don't match up....I'm totally frustrated !!
                I am a newbie and I stopped working on a small quilt because I couldn't figure out how to square up the blocks right. Are there any easy tutorials online anywhere? I watched a few on you tube and ended up more confused.

Comment

Working...
                X