X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulamoon
    replied
    Re: applique

Beautiful Cathryn! I love the little frog in the second picture, so adorable.

Leave a comment:

• Cat n bull
    replied

It all depends on the sizes of your appliques. I like to make appliques with small pieces, so charm packs are my favorites! I especially LOVE batiks for applique. I get yardage for things like leaves and stems. What I love the most about charm packs is it gives me 40+ DIFFERENT pieces of fabric. It would cost me a fortune to buy 40+ pieces in yardage. I also love Stonehenge charms for appliques.

here are some of mine: Every flower is a different fabric.

for this one every cornerstone as well as every flower is a different fabric.

Leave a comment:

• songbird857
    replied

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
    Here are some of my applique quilts. Only the owl quilt was a pre-cut jelly roll. The others were made of yardage I cut to make strips. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ue-quilts.html

If I see a main fabric I like, I try to buy at least 4 or 5 coordinating fabrics at the same time.
    Rivermom, I absolutely love those quilts! I wasn't a huge fan of the scrappy look JRR quilts, but these are less scrappy and more coordinated Do you use patterns for your applique? If so, I would love to know where you got them..

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

See, there all the one's I was thinking of! Beautiful work Vicky!

Leave a comment:

• RiverMomm
    replied

I have done some applique. Normally, I buy yardage and cut it myself but have used precuts. I like to have extra fabric for the image I am using for the applique because I tend to make mistakes-cutting backwards, pressing fusing on the wrong side, dropping a small piece such as an eye and losing it for 6 months . . . you know-fun mistakes that will drive normal people insane. Yep, extra fabric is sort of important for me.

Here are some of my applique quilts. Only the owl quilt was a pre-cut jelly roll. The others were made of yardage I cut to make strips. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ue-quilts.html

If I see a main fabric I like, I try to buy at least 4 or 5 coordinating fabrics at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

There are several members who have made jelly roll race quilts and appliqued over them and they look adorable. I wish I could remember who they were right now. One was monkeys and the other was vines and flowers then another with sail boats. Then I have seen lot's of quilts like a D4P where the middle square either had an applique or embroidery. All kinds of possibilities!

Leave a comment:

• pamipatch
    replied

Hi Sherrylynn!! I'm an avid appliquer also. I have used both charm packs, and more often, layer cakes in appliqué but definitely don't consider them an economical option. I also find them quite limiting as you'll have pieces you'll love and pieces you won't use. My advice would be this:- if you find a line of fabric you love to bits, find out thru google search who sells the entire collection, then order a half yard of each you'll use. To see the whole collection, go into the manufacturers website and look at the swatches. All collections contain a loo of 'fillers' which are actually great for appliqué. At the very least buy fat quarters. Hope this helps,

Cheers, Pami

Leave a comment:

• shermur
    replied

sherrylynn...this is just my opinion, sweetie; but, here goes....
    I mainly use pre-cuts for special projects and most of them are for piecing, and I am a scrappy quilter, so I save and use everything. So, when I applique a project, I prefer to work with larger pieces to make sure I have enough. I use fat quarters and yardage....then again, I guess it would depend on the applique pattern you're designing.

Leave a comment:

• sherrylynn
    started a topic applique

applique

i do more applique than piecing and I am new to jelly rolls, layer cakes-if i am purchasing fabrics for applique should I buy fat quarters or what instead of the layer cakes or charms-I love all the colors how they go together but aren't all of these precuts for making certain quilts
Working...
X