Using panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using panels?

Is it cheating? Anyway, whether it is or it isn't lol, what I want to know is if you make a quilt using one, a wall hanging for example, do you quilt across the panel or just around the borders?
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: Using panels?

I'm making a queen sized quilt from a Japanese print. I'm having to add several borders to make it wide enough and plan on quilting across the panel with cherry blossoms and the borders with the coordinating border designs. I have a computerized longarm machine and found the designs online.

I think whether to quilt the panel or not depends on how busy it is and its size. I use some sheets of clear plastic (available at any office supply store) to help me make the decision. I draw the quilting pattern I have in mind on the plastic sheets with a washaway marker, lay them on the panel, walk away and take a look. I've also done echo quilting on panels. There is no right or wrong in quiliting. Do what you like and it'll be right.

Comment

It's not cheating, it's just preference! If you like it, or the recipient will love it, what difference does it make??

Comment

had an idea from one of "Cyndi of the Vortex" for using panels - google Nine Patch Pizazz quilts.
        they look fun and make quick use of your panels!
        Happy Quilting!

Comment

It's not cheating. You are just using a bigger block

Comment

Thanks ladies. See, I've just bought a panel with a pig about to fly on it. I've been looking at it for over a week and finally thought, what the heck! I just don't know whether to quilt across her cute piggy pink nose or not, pmsl. (always assuming I actually learn to quilt that is, tee hee!)

Thanks bhaggerty for that. There's some scrummy pics of them.
            Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by bhaggerty View Post
              had an idea from one of "Cyndi of the Vortex" for using panels - google Nine Patch Pizazz quilts.
              they look fun and make quick use of your panels!
              Yes! I bought the book!
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Have you seen Jenny's "Googlies" quilt make with panels? It's so cute, I made that and loved it so much I bought the stuff to make a second one. You cut it up and sew it together with Charms and sashing and BOOM! you have a fun quilt in a short time. Call me a cheater!!

Comment

deer quilt 1.jpg deer quilt 2.jpg
                  this is queen sized and quilted with an all over pattern you can see the cross hatch if you click on the first pic
                  Last edited by Doloris; March 4, 2014, 04:42 PM.
                  Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Just found it Kensington. Thank you. That is one of the most adorable quilts ever!! lol.

Doloris, that's gorgeous and I like the quilting on the panel. Thanks.

I've just found a book on Amazon 9 Patch Pizzaz so bought it. Assuming it's the same as you've got Hulamoon so thank you bhaggerty for costing me more money, lol.

Oh yeah, also got a couple more panels as well as my pig, lol. Oh dear! I can see this hobby becoming a bank breaker! Good job I've no hubby to answer to lol.
                    Lorraine

Comment

Panels are fun. Sometimes I treat the parts like applique pieces and use my decorative stitches to quilt around the motifs . I also like to add embellishments if I really feeling creative.

Comment

It is not cheating, especially to us McDonald's quilters. The pretty panels are no different then fabric with pretty print on it.

I have made several with panels in the center.

I'm making a promise to myself - will lasso DH into helping post pictures this weekend. I think you will like the panel quilt I'm working on right now.

The prettiest one I have seen is where the quilter put drunkards path blocks around it. I think there's even a book on different ways to use the drunkards path block.
                        Vonnie

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your pics Vonnie.

Originally posted by Pwdmom View Post
                          Panels are fun. Sometimes I treat the parts like applique pieces and use my decorative stitches to quilt around the motifs . I also like to add embellishments if I really feeling creative.
                          What a great idea. Love the idea of applique with parts of it.

It seems there's a lot can be done with panels and I can't wait to try some of it.
                          Lorraine

Comment

Be aware, though that many panels are printed a little off the straight. It took me a long time to realize that it wasn't me but the panel that was wonky - and much ripping out to get a satisfactory balance between the off square print and the squared up edges I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineRob View Post

I've just found a book on Amazon 9 Patch Pizzaz so bought it. Assuming it's the same as you've got Hulamoon
                              That's the one. I went and bought the fabric before the book came in the mail and it was at my shop. lol From now on I'm going to look there first!
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X