How to move a large cutting mat . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to move a large cutting mat . . .

We will be moving soon and I'm starting to think about how I will get my very large cutting mat from this house to the next. While we have a moving company to move the majority of our belongings, I am taking responsibility for moving my sewing machine, quilting mats and rulers myself.

It's a 6 hour car drive and I am wondering if anyone has some good ideas or thoughts for how to get this mat from here to there without bending or warping it. I have an SUV with a large cargo area, but I will be carrying several boxes and household items and don't want to put them on top of the mat.

Anyway, anyone ever move one of these long distance before and perhaps came up with a clever, safe way to get them to the new location? I'm open to any and all thoughts/ideas. Thanks!!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Re: How to move a large cutting mat . . .

Personally, I would set it flat and place boxes w/smoot surfaces over the top of it. If you are concerned about damaging it, put an old blanket or quilt over the top of it plus some cardboard and I'm sure it will be just fine.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

When you buy them in the store the big ones come in a heavy cardboard sleeve. I would make it the meat in a heavy cardboard sandwich and put it on the bottom of your cargo spot then put a quilt on top and some boxes. that should keep it safe.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I agree I would package it sort of like you would with a fragile piece of artwork and if you can place it to the top off all the boxes you place in the storage of your vehicle.

Good luck with your move.
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I have kept my grandma's cutting mat in a thick cardboard sleeve for years just as she kept it and have not had any trouble with it warping. It was shipped to the store in that sleeve and it came over to me in the same sleeve.

Comment

We just moved and our drive was 3 hours. I sandwiched mine between heavy cardboard and then put boxes on top of it. However, I did not put boxes of books of anything extremely heavy on top of it. I have an HHR so my car was used for the more fragile items. Everything arrived intact, including my mats!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

You know, I'd ask the movers to sandwich it between two pieces of cardboard and then slide it down inside the box they pack your mattress in. To me that would be the best way to keep it flat.
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

When I was selling on ebay I needed a lot of packing peanuts. I went to the back of a furniture place and there is a ton of stuff they throw out. I went in and asked if I could take it. Plenty of card board in big sizes too.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

If I remember correctly, we rolled mine up and tied a string around it then I laid it flat on my cutting table with books on the ends to hold flat. Mine is 30" X 60" or is it 72" I would have to walk all the way upstairs to look - I'm lazy tonight. Mine was too big to lie flat for the trip even though it was just a two hour drive.

Edited to add that it was a very loose roll.
                  Vonnie

Comment

can you attach it to a picture or mirror? I have a few large paintings and a big mirror that I'd use to keep the thing flat and not take up much space. Plus the paintings and mirrors need extra protection that your mat will enjoy

Comment

Thank you all so much for all your great thoughts and ideas! Yesterday I didn't know how I was going to accomplish moving that large mat safely (it's approximately 26" X 38" edge to edge), today I have several great options.
                      Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I move mine every summer when we go to our cottage. Put it flat on the floor of the SUV place a blanket over it and the pack the boxes etc. Never had any trouble. I wouldn't stand it up in case the sun hits it or it's just very warm in the van; this could cause it to warp.

Comment

Honestly, chica, just lay it flat in your cargo area, as others have suggested. I wouldn't stress too much about what's on top of it.
                          Laying it on top of cargo, exposed to heat and sunlight is another story....

On a side night, in frigid temperatures, the same rule applies, in my experiences.
                          I've transported mine FLAT, in the bottom of my trunk, and haven't experienced a problem.
                          I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                          It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

If it fits in your car floor, I'd do that and place boxes on top of it. Cardboard under the boxes might be a good idea. As long as the floor is flat and doesn't have holes, it should be just fine. I don't have a large mat like that.
                            Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                              You know, I'd ask the movers to sandwich it between two pieces of cardboard and then slide it down inside the box they pack your mattress in. To me that would be the best way to keep it flat.
                              This. I am a Navy wife of 27 years and can't tell you how many times I have moved. You should be able to tell them you need a "Special pack" and they will make a box to fit it and pack it just the way you want. You can stand there and watch and tell them what you want. They will do it for glass or anything you have. Tell them to use a Mattress box for it and stuff it. That will work. They should come out a day or two before they pack you out to see your place and know what they need and how many boxes etc. They should ask you then if you have any special pack items. Don't sweat it... let them do it. Take pictures of it and anything of value, because if something does happen, you will need them for replacement, but they will replace it. If you damage it, you replace it. DON'T let them move your jewelry!

We always did Navy moves and we had a few rules to always follow, like when they come to pack you, have all that you are moving in your car. Once they start packing... everything goes so fast... they will pack your dirty clothes before you can say... "Don't do that". Make sure you put all important documents in a file in your car. You may need them right away after you arrive and it could take days to find them. Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X