Finishing binding with decorative stitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing binding with decorative stitches

Please, can someone give me some inspiration or pointers to finish my binding with some pretty stitches? I don't have patience to sit and do the blind stitch.

Re: Finishing binding with decorative stitches

That's why I machine bind mine.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

DSC05821.JPGI love to use the serpentine stitch on mine. It looks nice on the back and the front. i will try to find a close up picture and try very hard to post the picture. Yay, it worked.
      Last edited by Claire Hallman; March 3, 2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Do a practice stitch first to make sure your machine moves easily on thick fabric. And check to see how it would look on the backside.

I sew my binding on the back and pull it to the top and use a plain stitch and my stitch in the ditch foot with the needle moved far enough to the right to give a tiny hem. I use matching thread.

I have never been able to do the method where you sew it on the front, turn to the back, pin, then stitch on the front and catch the binding on the back. It does not look good on the backside.
        Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]69926[/ATTACH]I love to use the serpentine stitch on mine. It looks nice on the back and the front. i will try to find a close up picture and try very hard to post the picture. Yay, it worked.
          That's pretty Claire!
          Vonnie

Comment

I just finished a charity quilt with a decorative binding stitch...(in my albums) the only thing I regretted about it...the stitch pattern (2 leaves) were so close together it made it kind of stiff...so, before you do a decorative stitch, please practice with stitch length and such....but I am proud to say, tickets are selling for that quilt...

Good luck,
            Jo

Comment

I always make a sample (mini) quilt from the same fabric and batting as the intended quilt. This way I can test needle, thread, stitch length, decorative stitching, FMQ and binding before cutting and piecing. Notes can be printed onto the sample so you can remember which combination is best, should you be interrupted or need to continue your project over a period of time.

Comment

One time, for a baby quilt, I took the backing and folded it over to the front. I used zigzag stitch on the front. Since I gave it away, I am not sure if I have a picture.
                Usually, I stitch my binding to the front, fold it to the back and hand baste it in place. Then I use stitch in the ditch method from the front of the quilt to secure the binding. Yes, the back looks not as nice as the front.
                There are no solutions - only tradeoffs :-)
                Preeti
                http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SewingBuddy View Post
                  I always make a sample (mini) quilt from the same fabric and batting as the intended quilt. This way I can test needle, thread, stitch length, decorative stitching, FMQ and binding before cutting and piecing. Notes can be printed onto the sample so you can remember which combination is best, should you be interrupted or need to continue your project over a period of time.
                  That's some dedication!!

Comment

I do mine on the machine. I always try to do a couple practice stitches with scrap fabric from the quilt and batting. I have ran into the trouble of some decorative stitches not working on some fabrics. Also depending upon what kind of machine you have, it might or might not like to do the front and the back together. My Kenmore refuses to do all the layers together.

Comment

Originally posted by SewingBuddy View Post
                      You're a better woman than I am, Gunga Din,,
                      I'm afraid I just go for broke, sometimes it doesn't work & I consider those quilts as a learning experience. Ha ha
                      May the road rise up to meet you...
                      May the wind be always at your back...
                      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Claire, this is what I had in mind. I also make a mini quilt, to practice my stitches. I am using metallic threads of silver and gold, this quilt is for one of my best friends who has cancer and hopes to live until her son graduates from high school in a few months. She will be so excited, the colors are her and my favorites, blues/greens/purples. I will post a picture of it after I give it to her. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Comment

Use decorative stitches on your machine such as an S.

Comment

Working...
                          X