What do you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you buy?

As a newbie quilter making my first proper quilt, I bought the fabric specifically for it so I don't have a stash.

So, I want to know how you buy your fabric. Do you buy a yard or more of something you like, or just a yard, or fat quarters etc...and then just plan a quilt around what you've got or what?

I want a bit of stash, but don't want to buy bits of fabric that might not be much use.
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: What do you buy?

I started quilting years ago & back then I bought fabric for specific projects, mostly due to budget constraints. There was always some left over & the extras became my stash. As time went on I started buying fabric just because I loved it, usually in 1 yard pieces. Then I became pretty indiscriminate, Bought fat quarters of anything that calls to me or larger pieces because I get an idea for a quilt, and I gather fabric over time..
    My favorite quilts are scrappy, so it fits right in with my buying habits.
    Now that retirement is coming close, I've started to cut back on fabric purchases again due to the budget, so I've come full circle.
    On the up side, I have enough fabric to get me through several years of quilting when I retire. LOL
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I'm a newbie myself, but I imagine over time I will accumulate bits from pieces purchased for whole quilts. I do check for remnants at places like hobby lobby and Joanns - decent enough to play with and cheap enough that I don't feel to bad if I mess it up! I've purchased precuts here at M*, but I'm waiting to cut into those until I get a few 'practice' projects under my belt

Comment

I was buying yardage, 4-5 yds at a time, because I was making children's clothes.Now I'm over loaded with it! So I try and find patterns that will work for them, mostly online. Recently I bought some patterns at one of my shops and I followed the list, because it was so specific.

I can't randomly buy anymore because I have too much! I think one of my layer cakes is going to end up as a string quilt. lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

My fabric collection started when I was working at Ben Franklin Arts & Crafts right out of high school. There were some great deals on the flat fold tables if you had the time to dig through them. Since that was one of my duty stations, I had lots of time to look while tidying up the stacks! Depending on the fabric I'd buy as much as I could afford. I recently backed two quilts with some fabric I bought there!

Depending on my budget (& storage space) I buy at least a half of a yard of impulse fabric. You know the stuff, "OOooh! I really like that!" A half yard is equal to 2 fat quarters, but can give you a larger variety of cuts, and is often more cost effective than buying 2FQs.
          If you find a sale on something you will use often, like neutrals (black, white, beige, grey, etc.) or blender fabrics (small prints that read solid), then pick up several yards.

If you are someone who likes the scrappy look, then you can get away with smaller cuts and incorporate a lot of great fabrics into one quilt. If you lean a little more towards coordinated blocks and patterns then you are going to want larger cuts of fabrics for completing quilts.

A good way to build your stash is buy the end of the bolt. In some stores both "Big Box" and LQS they will give you a discount if you buy the last bit on the bolt. If I need a yard of shamrocks and there is a bolt that has several wraps of fabric left around the core and one that is nearly full, I'm going to grab the nearly empty one. If there isn't enough fabric, I know I can go back and get the full one. Usually two wraps of fabric is about half a yard. (Nest time you are in the store grab a bolt and play with it on an empty counter like you are considering a design idea and see how it works.) Most places don't want to re-wrap 5/8 to 3/4 of a yard and will offer it to you for a percent off. Some of the better clerks at the fabric counter will offer. Others, you may have to ask if they will sell the left over at a remnant price.
          This will do two things: One, you will have a bit of extra fabric if you make an "Oops!" (been there, done that!). Second, if everything goes smoothly, you will have added some fabric to your stash for much less than if you bought it straight off the bolt or from the remnant basket. Often they will take the full price on the bolt and then reduce it for a remnant. If you are buying the fabric off the bolt & it's on sale, you will get the discount off of the sale price making it even less expensive. It is almost a quest to see how much you can save.
          Don't forget to check the clearance section. There are gems hiding in there. I really like to go look during the 50% off clearance sales! Sometimes there isn't much, but other times I can get good backing material for a lot less.

I guess stash building is something you take at your own pace. Some quilters don't have much of one, and they like it that way. I build mine up when I have the budget and work through it during the leaner times. It will also depend on how much storage space you have. If you have a tiny closet, that might limit you more than an entire basement sewing studio! Do what works best for you, and have fun!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

When I first started I bought just what was needed for the project. Then I found M* quilt forum and realized I was doing it all wrong....so I began to purchase DD's and buy fabric all willy nilly. Now I have this stash of fabric and everytime I want to make something I have to go shopping for fabric that matches what I already have. I am trying to use up what is in my stash....so I've quit my wild shopping ways.
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I'm more in the style of Patt with my stash. In the beginning for projects, Then because it caught my eye. Then a few years ago I found MSQC and became "hooked" on pre cuts, then came the Daily Deal. I'm hopeless, I love fabric, yards of it, fat quarters or any sizes.

Comment

When I order from M* I make sure I buy a bit more than I need -shipping,VAT, and courrier charges make ordering a small amount a no no.

I buy bits in the sale at my LQS and LOADS from the NEC!

Comment

I try to get as many fabrics as I like - building my stash for retirement, because I will not have a huge budget after I stop working.

I mostly get 1 or 2 yards, but 4-5 if I really would like to use it as a full backing. For the creams, blacks, grays, and such which I use for many quilts as my background color, I buy them often adding to my stash even if I already have some.
                  Karen
                  Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I've done as most others and started out buying for a specific project... then realized more was almost always better.
                    Things have changed over the years.... I have acquired quite a stash of both yardage and pre cuts....... HOWEVER, I bought them because I love the print, color, texture...etc... and now I don't want to use them. They're too pretty to cut
                    As I get older, and older and older..... I find that by the time I collect all of the fabric for a project... I forget what I was going to make. Or, something on the M* deal of the day ... or a Jenny tutorial catches my eye and I soon forget what I had in mind to do with it. How sad is that... lol. I'm trying to keep a project book, to help.

Comment

Fabric is like a magnet to me. I cannot walk by it or see it on line and not have to buy some. It really is an addiction to me. I know I need to stop, but can't help myself. I will never use what I have in my life time. But I know..MOST of it will go in to charity quilts.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

I tend to buy for a project with two exceptions: I fall for buying cute children's fabrics when they are on sale...I like to buy for making children's pillowcases. (usually 2/1/2 yards). I will buy the rest of the bolt whenever I find a great piece of fabric that will mix with anything (white on white, tiny (almost solid) prints that are great for borders, etc. If it is not an end of the bolt, will buy 3-5 yards if it can really be used for a lot of purposes.
                        Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

I buy fabric with a purpose in mind. I have a notebook that I keep a list of projects and fabric that I want to do. Then I keep the fabric together. I try buy all the fabric that I need for one project at the same time. I tend to make sure that I buy plenty of backing for quilts and keep the extra in my stash. Most likely the extras will be made into charity quilts.

I have two quilts I've wanted to make for me that I am slowing building a stash on. The first is a nine patch using a vary specific style of material. And the other one is using shades of purple. As I find material for these at the Missouri Star, I've been adding to my stash.

I don't have the room to have a huge amount of fabric on hand without having a specific use for it.

Comment

That's great ladies. Thank you. I would never have thought about the small prints that look nearly solid, so that's a great starting place for me. I'm glad that I'm not alone in buying stuff 'just because it's there' lol but I do have to reign in my spending a bit now. I'm thinking I might finish the quilt I'm on at the mo and then start stash building, but then I think I might need a break from this one, so I need some stash just in case. At the moment apart from the fabric for this quilt, I have one FQ, and one layer cake and 2 charm packs on the way, so not a lot.

Anyway, you've all given me something to think about, so thanks lots.

Must ask while I remember...what does DD stand for? I've tried to work it out but failed this time, lol.
                            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                            Lorraine

Comment

DD is short for Daily Deal here on the web site.
                              May the road rise up to meet you...
                              May the wind be always at your back...
                              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X