Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twister Block Quilt?

Hi,
    I saw a MSQ tutorial on YT about the twister quilt and I loved it like I love all of the MSQ tutorials. In the tutorial, you have to sew the quilt and then cut it using the twister tool(which I ordered a few days ago) and then sew the new blocks all over again.
    Yesterday I was reading a book called "The Quilt Block Book", I love it, it has lots of beautiful blocks in it and I came across a block that looks exactly like the twister block only you don't have to sew it and then cut and sew again! IT's called "The Broken Rainbow Twisted". There is pattern that you have to cut four of and then arrange the four pieces so the look like a twister block and sew it right away! Wouldn't this be easier if you're cutting from yardage and don't have charm packs or layer cakes?
    Q2.jpgQ1.jpg

P.S. I have no idea why the pictures are upside down

Re: Twister Block Quilt?

Originally posted by Hooksandneedlesgirl View Post
    Hi,
    I saw a MSQ tutorial on YT about the twister quilt and I loved it like I love all of the MSQ tutorials. In the tutorial, you have to sew the quilt and then cut it using the twister tool(which I ordered a few days ago) and then sew the new blocks all over again.
    Yesterday I was reading a book called "The Quilt Block Book", I love it, it has lots of beautiful blocks in it and I came across a block that looks exactly like the twister block only you don't have to sew it and then cut and sew again! IT's called "The Broken Rainbow Twisted". There is pattern that you have to cut four of and then arrange the four pieces so the look like a twister block and sew it right away! Wouldn't this be easier if you're cutting from yardage and don't have charm packs or layer cakes?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69862[/ATTACH]

P.S. I have no idea why the pictures are upside down
    Marti Michell sells a ruler that cuts shapes like this. I have the Twister rulers, and have used them on quilts, but I agree, it would make more sense to make them by cutting the shapes and sewing them as you suggested.

http://www.frommarti.com/Tessellating_Windmill.shtml
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 3, 2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I think if you would cut the shapes instead of using the ruler, you would have less waste of fabric.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

No waste but smaller pieces to sew together!
        Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

I agree that using a template for this pattern would be better from the waste perspective and maybe from all that tedious cutting.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've just bought a twister tool and tried it with a few blocks, according to the instructions. There wasn't much waste in the inner blocks, only in the border material. I have the 6 1/2" tool and I loved working with large pieces.

Comment

I have the lazy angle ruler by Creative Grids for that, the twister quilt tutorial looks too much like work, would never do it. Creative GridsĀ® CGR3754 - Lazy AngleĀ® Ruler - Condensed - YouTube
              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Being one of those who hates buying an expensive tool for one-time use, I used painter's tape to mark off placement for my 5" blocks on my cutting mat. Lined up each square and used the lines on the matt to cut all my pieces. Easy peazy cheapy!

Quilter's Rules:
                #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
                #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
                #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

Working...
                X