Finally ready for quilting and I need HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally ready for quilting and I need HELP

I am finally done with this and yes i know I over did it on the pins..ha ha. Ladies and Gents I need help with how to quilt this. Im tired of staring at it. I am quilting it on my DSM. I may even hand quilt it. Haven't decided yet. I was thinking of starting in the center of the cross and just quilting straight lines of different lengths as if it were rays coming from the cross. But what else would I put in it. I need your ideas!
    Does anyone have a program that you could put the picture in and it show quilting on it to see what it would look like? Is there even such a thing? I don't want the stitching to over power the design if that makes sense.

DSC02766.jpg
    DSC02765.jpg
    Patrice

Re: Finally ready for quilting and I need HELP

Patrice that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I think your idea of radiating lines would really enhance the quilt, it seems so appropriate to the design.
    Is this for your church? I know it would fit right in for Lenten decor at our church.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Hi Patrice, the quilt is beautiful! I really like the idea of radiating lines also. What about also putting an occasional Lilly of the Valley flower on some of the squares or at corners of the border?
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I would also like to know if there is a program to show or design quilt motifs.
        Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

I haven't tried it yet but one woman I saw online said you can use "Glad Press'n'seal" to lay on your top and draw on it and then stitch right through. She said it sticks to your quilt. I'm not sure about sewing through it but maybe just the drawing could give you an idea but it's still more work than a computer program if there is such a thing.
          Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Electric Quilt is what you need. It's not cheap but there's nothing you can't do for quilting in it. There are hundreds of fabrics, blocks and quilt designs already built in, you can also design your own from scratch, add photos, quilting stencils, motifs, embroidery....you name it, you can do it. It's quite a learning curve, but if you're a dedicated quilter, it'll be worth every penny.

I'm only a newbie quilter and I already love it.

Your quilt is beautiful, love that off centre cross.
            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
            Lorraine

Comment

Beautiful quilt.
              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/med...ssquilting.jpg

This is the post I was looking for when I started a new one!!!! Click on the design to enlarge it and see what you think. When I do that quilt, it will be the one I use.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I used primitive stitch on a hand quilt that I had made using a sun and rays coming off of it and it turned out pretty good and I think that is what would make your cross stand out from the rest of the quilt..you did an awesome job on this quilt.

Comment

The quilt is lovely. Whatever you decide will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

You can take a photo and print it out in grayscale. Print a couple. Then draw on some quilting designs to see what you like best. The rays sound awesome. Around that maybe just loops and meandering. The press and seal was in one of my online classes and they say you can quilt right through it, so thats a great idea

I look forward to seeing the quilt completed. Very uplifting and beautiful
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                        Patrice that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I think your idea of radiating lines would really enhance the quilt, it seems so appropriate to the design.
                        Is this for your church? I know it would fit right in for Lenten decor at our church.
                        It is actually for my son. He will be ordained a priest next year and I am making it for him.
                        Patrice

Comment

Originally posted by lilmouse View Post
                          I used primitive stitch on a hand quilt that I had made using a sun and rays coming off of it and it turned out pretty good and I think that is what would make your cross stand out from the rest of the quilt..you did an awesome job on this quilt.
                          What is a primitive stitch?
                          Patrice

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
                            It is actually for my son. He will be ordained a priest next year and I am making it for him.
                            Congratulations to your son !!
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I love this! Purple & lavender are 2 of my favorite colors. I'm working on a Storm at Sea quilt now, too, but it's a much more difficult pattern than yours. Some of the small triangles used in my pattern I normally would discard. Yours looks much easier with those larger pcs. And no, you did not use too many basting pins. I use LOTS of pins when I sandwich my quilts--probably every 3". I haven't decided how I'll quilt mine when it's done. I like that swirled look. (There are several S at S pics on Pinterest & other web sites.) There will be many seam bumps to avoid, where the star points come together. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. My S a S class is this Sat. the 8th. JCY

Comment

Working...
                              X