What's this for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this for?

I would like to know what the small thumb screw is for that is to the left and top of the main pressure foot. My machine is a Brother, actually I have two and it is the same foot on each machine, letter is J. Manual does not state it's purpose. Adjusting it, I do not notice any difference. Must do something! Hopefully I explained it enough so someone will know the answer.
    sigpic

Re: What's this for?

If it's the one I'm thinking of it is for attaching the presser foot holder to your machine. It is also used to attach presser feet that do not use the holder. There are one or two of my presser feet that do not use it...maybe the FMQ and/or the walking foot.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Is it a round springlike button on the left side? That is supposed to help going over thick intersections - I can't remember when you are supposed to push it in - either as you get to the thick part or once you are on top, so that you don't get stuck.
      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

It is for what Lisa said. If you are sewing over thick layers or fabric it is to adjust your foot so that it is laying flat on the fabric, and the toes don't point up. You just push it in and move your foot's toes down.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
          It is for what Lisa said. If you are sewing over thick layers or fabric it is to adjust your foot so that it is laying flat on the fabric, and the toes don't point up. You just push it in and move your foot's toes down.
          Marilyn this made me think of a post I seen here earlier this week. Someone asked about the "Toyota Jeans Sewing Machine". I watched a video on this machine and it had a foot called "a floating foot". When you get to the seams on Jeans...or any other multi layers, this foot would just float over the multi layers...just the coolest foot I've ever seen and wish all machines had this foot included.
          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Oh you were talking about the little black screw....I forgot that was there because I never use it. I probably should start using it because some of those seams are a bear.
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

How nice to have such a feature. That would be super if all machines had one.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Again, thank you ladies. I learned something, makes my day!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X