Does black fabric fade ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does black fabric fade ?

Should I wash new black fabric before I use, does it fade ? Thanks for your help.

Re: Does black fabric fade ?

Black fabric can fade...if you choose not to wash it before using it, be sure to use Color Catchers when you do wash the finished project!! I swear by them...but I usually use more than the recommended amount. thumbnail.jpg
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Me too..... I never use fewer than three. Just better safe than sorrry, right?
      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
      Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
      (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I bought a quilt at an auction that had a lot of red in it...never been washed. I used the entire box of color catchers....I wasnt about to take any chances. The red never bled into the white...well worth the price of the color catchers!!
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I couldn't agree more mary..... the price of color catchers is so worth not ruining a precious quilt.
          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
          Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
          (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I didn't find that the black fabric I bought bled, but it did smell when it was wet. At first I though I had done some damage to my wash machine, burnt up a belt or something. It was the fabric. I have no idea what they dyed it with, but the intense black color came with that funky smell that did not completely wash out after three tries with varying detergents. It does not smell when dry though.
            I prewash almost all of my fabric, I do toss in a white cotton rag to see if the color bleeds since I can't lift the lid on my HE washer once it gets started like I could on my old machine. I usually add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water to set any questionable colors. I have heard salt will do the same, but I'm not sure I want salt in my machine. I may cut the amount back to 1/2 cup now since the machine uses half the water.
            I haven't used the color catchers, but everybody seems to swear by them.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I don't know about black cotton but some black fabrics do fade. Make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight and wash in cold water. I would resist the temptation to dry it in the dryer, but drip dry instead. I actually have had black clothing hanging in my closet that has faded on the hanger. Those items were not cotton, though. I couldn't get over it considering the closet is not exposed to direct sunlight. I have a habit of not closing the closet door so the light coming through the window in the bathroom was just enough exposure to fade those clothes. We're talking about a north-facing window! i had a wallhanging that was never exposed to direct sunlight but in a very bright northern facing room and on a wall above a lamp. All of the navy blue faded over time. It won't stop me from using navy and black but I will definitely take extra precautions to avoid the problem in the future. If you give a gift to someone with those colors make sure you give them instructions on how to take care of the item.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Love the Shout color catchers, too!
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X