Info on a walking foot for a Singer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on a walking foot for a Singer

I have a Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist. It came with a walking foot. The main reason I don't use this foot for quilting layers, is because it is so loud and clunky sounding! It seems to be stitching right and all that, but I just can't stand the noise ! makes me think something is wrong with the machine and since the sewing with it is for a long time, I dont' use it.

But I have heard so much about using it for FMQing and for SITD that I'd like to try it, but ...not with this foot! I was wondering..do all walkers make noise? I can see a bit of minor noise just cause of it's makeup and that it has moving parts inside, but still... mine sounds like a demolition is going on! Do all walkers make alot of noise? And if not, any suggestions on a good walking foot for a Singer?
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Info on a walking foot for a Singer

You DO NOT use a walking foot for Free Motion Quilting. EVER.

A walking foot is used for straight-line quilting or gentle curves. Stitch in the ditch, echo quilting, etc. All I can suggest if you don't like the foot that came with your machine, purchase another one that fits and see if the same thing happens. My machine has IDT so it doesn't require a walking foot.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Lol! (only cause we have the same machine) I really like the question though cause I always wondered that myself. The walking foot on my old singer was actually louder than this one. I do think it works like a dream to be honest though I would also like to know how loud other walking foots are as well.

Karen, what is an IDT? (i am sure its obvious but i can't think of it) Thanks
      Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I think all walking foots are more noisy than when sewing with your regular foot. You really should use it when doing all the layers. How have you been quilting, if not using it? Don't you get puckers?
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jess1377 View Post

Karen, what is an IDT? (i am sure its obvious but i can't think of it) Thanks
          IDT is the built in even feed on a Pfaff.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
            I think all walking foots are more noisy than when sewing with your regular foot. You really should use it when doing all the layers. How have you been quilting, if not using it? Don't you get puckers?
            For me, I use a fmq foot or the walking foot.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
              IDT is the built in even feed on a Pfaff.
              Now that sounds like a nice feature

Comment

I have the same machine and the walking foot is a little noisy but not terribly (other walking feet are worse). I noticed a problem when it got too much lint on it. So, every once in a while, brush it off.

You use the darning foot for FMQing. Make sure you install the darning foot correctly-the little silver arm rests on top of the bar that goes up and down.

This lady has a nice series of videos on the machine: Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Video Introduction - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                  You DO NOT use a walking foot for Free Motion Quilting. EVER.

A walking foot is used for straight-line quilting or gentle curves. Stitch in the ditch, echo quilting, etc. All I can suggest if you don't like the foot that came with your machine, purchase another one that fits and see if the same thing happens. My machine has IDT so it doesn't require a walking foot.
                  I have just heard others say they use the walking foot for FMQ. I haven't tried it. What is IDT?
                  Cheri

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                    I use the darning foot for FMQ meandering and just the regular all purpose foot for STID and other top stitching of lines. I never have a puckering problem using it. I am just trying to do things right and use things for what they are supposed to be used for! I am wondering if my using the regular foot might by causing a problem with the quit being stiff. I use a thin batting, cotton and press seams and use wide meandering, but still... it just seems the quilt is stiff and I am wondering if the walking foot might help soften up the stiffness.
                    Cheri

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                      I have the same machine and the walking foot is a little noisy but not terribly (other walking feet are worse). I noticed a problem when it got too much lint on it. So, every once in a while, brush it off.

You use the darning foot for FMQing. Make sure you install the darning foot correctly-the little silver arm rests on top of the bar that goes up and down.

This lady has a nice series of videos on the machine: Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Video Introduction - YouTube
                      Yeah, I do use the darning foot and yeah that arm is on top. I don't have a problem with that. Although the darning foot that came with the machine didn't work right! The place I bought it told me to buy a different style! Couldn't believe it! But I did and it works great...has that little short spring on it.
                      Cheri

Comment

I thought you might want to hear my walking foot. If yours sounds really different, then you might want to take it to the dealer who sold you the machine and ask for a new one (or buy a different brand foot that fits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS0V...Dl4q9xHQTTfq9w

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                          I thought you might want to hear my walking foot. If yours sounds really different, then you might want to take it to the dealer who sold you the machine and ask for a new one (or buy a different brand foot that fits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS0V...Dl4q9xHQTTfq9w
                          I checked out your link & it came up with a lady playing Happy Birthday on a mandolin (?)
                          Am I missing something or is my iPad playing tricks on me??
                          May the road rise up to meet you...
                          May the wind be always at your back...
                          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                            I checked out your link & it came up with a lady playing Happy Birthday on a mandolin (?)
                            Lol, me too cute though

Comment

oh,hmm, well . . . look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXD8W_nykPA

(that was me playing on a little guitar thing less than 30 minutes after opening the box)

A lesson for me to check links before posting . . . sigh.

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                              Last edited by RiverMomm; March 2, 2014, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X