Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Janome walking foot suddenly acting up - help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janome walking foot suddenly acting up - help?

Starting yesterday, my walking foot has been falling off every time I raise it to the highest. It's so annoying!! I don't know what has changed. Typically I will sew a short bit (I'm doing binding on a hotpad), come to the corner, use the threadcutter (scissors button) and raise the foot to it's highest point, where it promptly comes loose and falls off. In order to attach it again, I have to lower it to the first raised position. It's like the upper feeders are pushing it off. Help! Has anyone else had this issue? I can't for the life of me figure out what has changed. I think I'm putting it on right, I can't figure out any other way it can go.

This is the part that comes loose:
    WF lösa delen.jpg

This is when it's happening:
    WF lossnar.jpg

This is what it looks like when I've put it back on:
    WF ihopsatt.jpg

This is what the walking foot looks like from the back attached to my machine (the loose bit is not re-attached in these pics):
    WF attached back.jpg WF straight back.jpg

Any input is welcome!!
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Re: Janome walking foot suddenly acting up - help?

It just may be that the thickness on the potholder is just enough that when you come to the end and raise the foot that the 'torque' is pressing just right to pop it out of the attachment. I've had mine do that (not a Janome but similar to yours).

Next time you put it on, lower the shaft and make sure the foot is seated well before stitching. But, I'd definitely think it is an issue of the thickness and then the release of that pressure that is causing it.

Have you tried stitching on just a few thicknesses to see if you still have this issue?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

How old is your walking foot? Looks like you are getting it put back on right. Might be worn out and because it is plastic where the pins sit, it has worn enough to be loose. Might be time for a new walking foot.
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

It's only a year old but I did think about the plastic too. I don't THINK that's the problem but...

I will try a few different thicknesses, thanks for the tip Sandy! Some to think of it, only half the upper dogs were on the fabric, since I was doing binding. That might have something to do with it as well?
        ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
          It's only a year old but I did think about the plastic too. I don't THINK that's the problem but...

I will try a few different thicknesses, thanks for the tip Sandy! Some to think of it, only half the upper dogs were on the fabric, since I was doing binding. That might have something to do with it as well?
          AHA, it might very well be that it wasn't sitting flat on your fabric and it was slanted just enough to make it pop off. if its only a year old it shouldn't be worn out yet.
          Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Working...
          X