Questions about flannel rag quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about flannel rag quilts

I made a little rag quilt from Jenny's tutorial using minky charms with flannel charms for the back. It was so much fun I want to try a throw sized one. I have some flannel in my stash that has been pre- washed and dried in dryer. Can It be used for rag quilt or should I buy new? Do I have to use batting? The minky one did not call for batting and it came out really nice.
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Re: Questions about flannel rag quilts

Those are all questions where the answer can be yes but its up to you! The flannel will be fine because it has been washed already in fact thats a good thing since it shrinks so much. If you use batting cut it smaller than the size block you use because it is just meant to be added in for warmth not fluff. I have used flannel and used batting in one and it was just so soft and cozy. I have also made a flannel rag quilt but not added batting to it and it is ok too.
    Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

You can use the flannel as long as ALL the flannel used in the quilt is pre-washed and dried. I use an extra layer of flannel as the batting. If you do that, remember if you use pre-washed on the outside, you need to use pre-washed on the inside. If you want a thicker quilt, you could use batting inside. Like Jess1377, cut the batting smaller.

This is a nice video on make rag quilts: Rag Quilting Made Easy/Baby Rag Quilt Video - YouTube

Comment

love love love making rag quilts . . I use 1 layer of cotton and 2 layers of flannel or 2 layers of cotton and flannel in the middle -- woooooooweeeeee talk about fluffeeeee . . however I don't prewash my flannel -- I wash the rag quilt once I have finished with the snipping -- before washing -- I rub each block - like it has a stain *of course outside*~.. to help along the ragging -- and those little pieces don't end up in my washer -- for me -- I think it helps with the ragging effort or what I like to call - blooming
        - before tossing into the dryer -- I take it back outside and rub the blocks again . . . then toss in dryer . . all is good and pretty
        2015 is here
        Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

If I am using a cotton top, I normally use a layer of flannel for the batting and then a layer of flannel for the back. So it's cotton, flannel, then flannel. If I am using flannel on both the top and back, I normally skip the center layer all together as this quilt will be nice and warm with the two layers of flannel. I've only used true batting on baby sized rag quilts but there is no reason you couldn't do it. The nice thing about the cotton, flannel, flannel version is you cut the middle layer the same size as the front and back so you have three layers to "rag" rather than two - I think it gives it a nicer look.
          Debbie

Comment

I have done them several different ways, just about any combination you can think of, even 4 layers of flannel for super fluff. My DH's favorite is with flannel on top, warm and white in the middle and fleece on the bottom. Makes a very heavy one. This one is 5 years old and is used daily and washed weekly.
            SAM_6998.jpg
            That's Bubba, he doesn't like his picture taken,
            I have yet to try stuffing them. Oh and I never wash anything first.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X