I was so proud of myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so proud of myself

I used jenny's tutorial on binding and sewed the binding on my quilt yesterday. I called myself checking it as I went along and thought everything was fine. Started attaching it to the back (by hand) and in some spots I'm a little short and have to really pull it, putting stress on my seam. Not good!! Should I take the binding off and start over or could I trim as close to the seam as possible to eliminate the extra bulk?
    Sharon

Re: I was so proud of myself

Don't trim the seam any smaller than 1/4". If your trouble is only in a few spots, just rip out the stitching in those areas and correct your seam width. If you are having trouble everywhere and you just have a wide seam you can trim your seam to 1/4" consistently and that should fix it. If it's a small quilt you might want to consider taking the binding off, straightening the edges and putting the binding back on.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Gonna get to rippin! I don't think I will be satisfied if I don't redo it.
      Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaB View Post
        Gonna get to rippin! I don't think I will be satisfied if I don't redo it.
        sometimes that's the best way!

Comment

So I spent some of my morning taking the binding off my quilt. Then looked around at some squaring up tutorials and such. It looked like my quilt is fairly squared. So then I thought maybe it was my sewing and I started playing with some scraps. Just so happened I measured my seam and it was over a 1/4" from the edge. When I first got this machine, I was playing around and changed the stitch width and didn't set it back.! I'm so aggravated at myself I could just spit!!
          Sharon

Comment

It is frustrating to be almost finished a quilt and have to redo the binding! I've had to take final borders off when the rest of the quilt was already quilted because of wonkiness. I've learned to be extra careful since I never want to do that again!

You're right to redo your binding. It takes time but in the long run you'll be so happy that you took that time.

Show us the quilt when it's all done!
            Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
            X