Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does spray baste damage a sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does spray baste damage a sewing machine?

Hi,
    I'm fairly new to quilting and have a question about using spray baste. It takes me ages to baste by hand using pins and then hand basting so I thought I'd try spay baste. I'm making a 72 x 72 quilt for my son and his partner as a belated housewarming present. I saw a tutorial for using foam insulating boards and pining the fabric so that I could streach it out before spraying. The method worked great with a really smooth sanwich. I'm also using quilt as you go method, and made the quilt in 5 long strips. I spry basted them them qulted them.

The next day my sewing machine started making a really bad noise. I oiled it, as per the manual, but it still was squeaking something terribel. I then oiled it (sparingly) everywhere I saw a part moving. Still a terrible noise. (and its jumping stiches no matter how I adjust the tension)

My question is - could the spray baste have damaged it? I didnt spay anywhere near the machine but I may have been a bit over enthusiastic and used to much on my sanwiches. Could the machine be 'gummed up' inside because of it. If so what can I do?
    I had planned to upgrade it next month anyway(its an old Brother basic model) and so I have now ordered a new Husqvarna 100Q but am terrified to use spray baste in case thats what killed my Brother. The thought of adding the borders by hand basteing is horrible tho.

Re: Does spray baste damage a sewing machine?

I'd look at your needle. If things are going to gum up, the needle is one of the first places it will show up. Look up the needle shaft from the point. If you see a ring of adhesive stuck to the metal, then you may have a problem.

I had a loud thumping with mine, and it was a bunch of lint that had built up. I used thin, long-handled artist brushes to carefully fish out the worst of the fuzzballs after I removed the throat plate & the bobbin race. Then I oiled it using some Tri-flow lubricant I had for my livestock clippers (it takes high heat & will penetrate metal) and that made a big difference. I get a squeal from my machine when I wind a bobbin if the needle isn't completely down. (I'm sure the service guy could fix that since it didn't always do it, but I don't want to send her away for a few weeks!)

I do know that a light-handed application of the spray basting to the batting is the best. Then you smooth the fabric to the batting, working out the fabric as you hand smooth it. You can always iron it for better adhesion and fewer wrinkles.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi eileeng2, I use 505 spray all the time and have had no trouble with it.
      sigpic Christine.

Comment

I have used basting spray for years.....never had any problems.... It's probably lint...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Also spray baste, then press for better hold. Only use 505 now; some of the others did not hold as well or gummed up my needle. Never had a noise from my machine when using any of them.
          Judy :icon_wave:
          Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Comment

I also think this may be a lint issue. I have used 505 a lot (and sometimes overspray cause I want it to stay put, darnit) and have never had any problems. But a friend of mine used a different brand and she said it was gummy.

I have an older machine that was acting up. I knew I wasn't going to take it in as the cost of fixing it was worth more than the machine. So, I looked up the basic layout of the machine online and sat down to fiddle with it. I ended up taking the bottom panel off in my cleaning. I was surprised at the lint-everywhere. I cleaned and oiled and cleaned some more. The machine runs great now.

A hint-take pictures as you go. It helps to putting it back together. Oh, and only do this if you don't mind losing the machine because if you go too far, you may kill the machine more than it already is. I waited until I had a new machine.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I did take the machine to bits - well removed everything that looked as if it could be taken apart and go back together again. Then I oiled oiled and cleaned some more. Its still making a noise but I have fiddled with it and it sews OK now. My new machine arrived yesterday but the quilting feet are not due till next week. I'll soldier on with the noisy one over the weekend as I hate having nothing to sew.

Comment

I prefer Sulky KK2000 spray and I also use Titanium coated machine embroidery needles. I find Sulky works best for me and the coated needles, I began using when machine embroidering with sticky back stabilizer and the heat from regular needles soften the adhesive, gummed up the needle and thread, the thread broke.

If you think the spray adhesive you used is causing the problems with the machine, the adhesive may have transferred to the thread path and tension mechanisum. If you take the machine in for service, be sure to tell them about the spray adhesive that was used.

Comment

Check your bobbin. My machine was just acting up making a weird noise. When this happens the first thing I do is rethread everything. Sure enough, I had the bobbin in upside down. It made me think of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X