X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cindirae
    replied
    Re: Disappointed with Fons and Porter White Pencil

I often use a sliver of white soap for marking on dark fabrics. No problem washing it out, and when the line gets too thick I can shave it down with a box cutter. A great way to re-purpose those used-up soap slivers! I also have the Bohin pencil. The green lead is GREAT for almost any color fabric (but green ) and washes out fabulously.
    Last edited by cindirae; March 1, 2014, 01:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha O
    replied

I have a Bohin. Looks about the same. You can buy replacement leads for them. You can find a refillable regular mechanical pencil and use the white leads in it. Bic has a rather nice .9mm pencil.
    Amazon.com: BIC Velocity Mechanical Pencil, Refillable, Thick Point (0.9 mm), 12 Pencils: Office Products
    Which Chalk Pencils to Use for Quilt Marking
    I bought yellow leads for the Bohin.

Leave a comment:

• goofyizzy
    replied

Are you using it on light colored fabric? I think they are designed for medium to dark tones.

Leave a comment:

• KerryA
    replied

I just bought the Fons and Porter one too - and I was so unimpressed. I couldn't get the darn thing to make a mark. AND IT WAS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN ANY OF THE OTHERS ON THE MARKET (stupid me thought it would be better).

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

I didn't like it, either.... I have vision problems, so I need good, visible lines.... Every time I tried to get a really visible lone, it broke...

Leave a comment:

• Doloris
    replied

try running the pencil over a piece of fine sand paper. sometimes the lead will have a coating on it

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I only use the white on dark fabrics and it worked fine. Is it the lead for the mechanical pencil or a separate pencil by itself?

Leave a comment:

• quilter.martha
    replied

I have one and it works just fine with normal pressure. I suspect you got a "lemon."

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

Yes, this one you have to ise a bit of pressure and/or go over it. But I love it. It comes off really easy too. It did take me a wile to get used to it. I got mine from Leah Daus site, but same product so I dont think that makes a difference. Have them send a replacement see if it works any better

Leave a comment:

• sassygranny
    started a topic Disappointed with Fons and Porter White Pencil

Disappointed with Fons and Porter White Pencil

I just got a Fons and Porter white fineline ceramic pencil. I am so disappointed! It barely makes a mark at all, and to get anything to show, even faintly, I have to go over and over and over the same area. Did I just get a lemon? Do I need to return it for a "fresher" one? If all of these markers are this way...what is out there that makes a fine line and actually works? Bummed! It wasn't inexpensive. SIGH....
Working...
X