TWIN SIZE BATIK TURTLE QUILT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWIN SIZE BATIK TURTLE QUILT

I have an order for a twin size quilt that a lady saw on my Etsy website but the original is a lap quilt and she wants it for a twin size bed. My question is how to I make sure that the center of this measures correctly 54 x 90" is the twin size with the top I the twin measuring 39 x 75, I have 6 boarders which include a 2" binding. I don't know what to cut the fabric that the turtle sitting on the original pattern is 24 x 24 for the square the turtle is sitting on here is a picture. Thanks or the help ahead of time. Mahalo
    Attached Files
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Re: TWIN SIZE BATIK TURTLE QUILT

Double the width of the borders, subtract that number from the finished length. Do the same for the width, result is finished size of center panel.

Example, border is 6" wide, doubled is 12". Finished width is 54" subtract 12", width is 42". Finished length is 90" subtract 12", length is 78". Add 1/2" to each measurement for seam allowances.

Comment

Because I have 6 boarders they total 15" so I come out with a panel of 24 x 60 which seems rather odd don't you think?
      Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      Double the width of the borders, subtract that number from the finished length. Do the same for the width, result is finished size of center panel.

Example, border is 6" wide, doubled is 12". Finished width is 54" subtract 12", width is 42". Finished length is 90" subtract 12", length is 78". Add 1/2" to each measurement for seam allowances.
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Do you mean it's long and skinny? I'm not sure how to respond. Is each side of border 15"? Then that would be right. Do you want the twin to only be 54" wide? That gives 12" drop on each side. And I'm guessing the length is to give a pillow tuck. I never do my quilts that long because I always do shams or decorative pillow cases.

Comment

I can't help with the math so much but what if you enlarged the turtle and the fabric it's sitting on? That way it's not so much the borders getting wider but whole design getting enlarged. I so hope that made sense.

I just bought a turtle pattern today
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Not sure what you mean? Keep the panel the turtle is sitting on a solid square even on all sides but I cant seem to figure that out, lol
            Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
            I can't help with the math so much but what if you enlarged the turtle and the fabric it's sitting on? That way it's not so much the borders getting wider but whole design getting enlarged. I so hope that made sense.

I just bought a turtle pattern today
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I bought a pattern of a frog and I took it to the print shop and had it enlarged. So if your turtle is a bit bigger by let's say 2'' (don't know what percentage) every thing else gets increased 2'' . This is my simple way of figuring it out.

I'm no help. lol
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Would it be difficult to make 6 of those turtles being 2 across and 3 down. Then just add borders till you get the size you wanted. Quilterscache has some neat border patterns: Borders

BTW, love your lap quilt.
                Last edited by Vonnie; February 28, 2014, 06:51 AM.
                Vonnie

Comment

Here are some interesting links: crazy mom quilts: how to calculate quilt measurements

Start Quilting 2 - Figuring Your Quilt Yardage
                  Vonnie

Comment

That is really neat

Comment

Working...
                    X