Do u need to iron layer cakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do u need to iron layer cakes?

Making the disappearing pinwheel and when I put the two pieces of layer cake together they don't line up. So I thought they needed to be iron first. Still off. How does Jenny get them to work together? starch? Steam? Just let them be what they want to be? Worry about squaring up later?

Re: Do u need to iron layer cakes?

Don't know. Have only used a layer cake once and the pieces lined up ok. I would probably square them up before you started but would want to make sure they aren't getting too much smaller than the other squares.

Comment

Sometimes they aren't all the same size. Happens in charm packs too.

Comment

I had some batik layer cakes and I had to square up almost every one before I could use them.
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I haven't had that issue yet with any of the Layer cakes I have bought. Not with Charm Packs either.

Comment

I've had this problem. You would expect the 'quality' fabric companies to get it right (and presumably that's what you're paying a premium for) but they don't.

Comment

Thnx all for the replies. Sounds like I should square up first. I made the pinwheels Jenny's way then squared up the blocks to 12in. Worked out okay even if a little smaller then planned.

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                I haven't had that issue yet with any of the Layer cakes I have bought. Not with Charm Packs either.
                Me neither.. I just let them be what they are and square up later. And I NEVER pre-wash , either.
                Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                :icon_wave:

Comment

I'd check & square the fabric pre-cuts before I started my project. Some of my pre-cuts have been a bit larger or smaller than "standard".

This variance might depend on how the precuts are cut. If all 42 are stacked and cut straight down with a die you might get a vert slight shift, but all pieces should be the same unless there was a fold, a wrinkle, or something wonky with a single layer. If each piece is cut with a die and then assembled you might get some variance. If the pieces are cut being pulled over or through a slitter blade, then you can get a bigger variance in the pieces due to tension and the final trim cut and assembly.
                  I haven't seen how the fabric pre-cuts are handled, but this is what I found to be true when I was working for a printer and I would do QC after the die-cutting, trimming, and finishing stage. It would explain how some of these pre-cuts can be so wonky.
                  Last edited by toggpine; March 1, 2014, 02:05 AM.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I have found that no matter how I make HST that I need to square them up before sewing into a block.

Comment

Working...
                    X