Maeshall Dry Goods backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maeshall Dry Goods backing

I've found what I believe to be the perfect backing for a quilt I'm making. Having never ordered from them before, I'm unsure of the quality of their fabrics. For those who have purchased from them, are the backings LQS quality? I'm being paid nicely for this quilt and want the backing quality to be the same high quality as the fabric used for the top. Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Their prices are really good, that's where my concern comes from.

(Guess I should proof read before posting - Marshall Dry Goods)
    Last edited by yeeehawterri; February 27, 2014, 06:44 PM.

Re: Maeshall Dry Goods backing

Those are great prices. I've bought 108" backing for under $10 a yard, it is generally lighter weight fabric than the $17-$20 stuff, but it isn't bad fabric. It all depends on what price point your customer wants to stay at. I looked at the site and I'm going to try some of it for some tops I need to quilt. I really only like wide backings for my quilts, mainly because I'm too lazy to seam up regular width fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      I really only like wide backings for my quilts, mainly because I'm too lazy to seam up regular width fabric.
      I am soooo there with you!

I might need to reconsider and keep looking. Thanks for the input. For my regular quilts, made with love, I'd be fine with a bit thinner, but the expectation has been laid out and she's paying, so whatever she wants, she'll get.

Comment

It all depends on what it is you are ordering from Marshall. Some fabrics I've seen at Hancock's. Some (a few) are name brand quilt fabrics, but older lines. I would say that the wide backings they have are not the quality of your local quilt store, but more than likely more along the lines of Hancocks or Joann quality.

BackSide Fabrics - Your Best Source for Wide Quilt Backing Fabric | has a large assortment of backing fabric and has some name brand lines as well. I think their backings are probably better quality.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Ohhhh Karen! Thanks! found a couple of alternatives! Thank you!

Comment

This is what I ordered from Marshall and it's $3 more at BackSide backing store.

image.jpg

Comment

Jean, that's the exact print I was looking at, just a diff color. Its perfect for the quilt. I'm on the fence. Going to hit a LQS next week, but finding pretty wide backings locally is a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                This is what I ordered from Marshall and it's $3 more at BackSide backing store.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69658[/ATTACH]
                I have been to Marshalls several times and know that fabric well, very nice for the price, don't think you will be disappointed in it. They have some really nice fabric and then like most shops they have some that is not the greatest quality. For the most part their backing fabrics are all really nice.

Comment

Have you tried 1000 Bolts and Only One Nut? (Thousands of Bolts ... only one nut!:). They sell quality fabric at discounted prices. I think many of their items are discontinued but they carry many different brands. Fabric is arranged by color and available yardage is indicated. I've never had a problem with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X