Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concern about charm packs and old material

Hi there,

Since I've not used pre-cuts before, I'm concerned that I shouldn't combine charm packs (or any of the pre-cuts for that matter) with pieces of material that I know to have been prewashed (such as sections from old clothes etc).

I would assume that the pre-cuts would shrink at first wash, and since my previously worn garments have already shrunk with washing....they would not...and thus I would end up with a less-than-flat top.

Insights would be appreciated if someone has attempted this and seen the results for themselves.

Many thanks.

Re: Concern about charm packs and old material

I'm relatively new here but until the "Oldies" chime in with more authority I'll try to help. I've been sewing with both pre-cuts and pre-washed fabric for over a year now and have never had a problem. I actually have never heard of anyone who sewed exclusively with pre-cuts. O, maybe some use a jelly roll and a charm pack but that's almost always combined at least with yardage for the backing and often some pieces of sashing. Great to have you on the forum and keep those questions coming because we all learn from each other's questions.- Lilly

Comment

Personally, I'd never mix unwashed pre-cuts with other washed fabrics. They will shrink at a dif. rate. JCY

Comment

I never prewash precuts or yardage. I did make 1 quilt where I used an old sheet for backing and it washed fine. I don't think I would mix old and new fabric in my quilt top.
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

This is a great question. I hadn't thought of it. But it makes sense now that it has been brought up.

Comment

I per wash yardage but not precuts and use both in a quilt. I haven't had a problem yet.

Comment

I've never had trouble with prewashed fabric (I no longer prewash) and precuts. Everyone has their preference.

Comment

Hi Penelope, I have quilted for over 23+ years and I prewashed all my fabric when I bought it and have a lot of pre-washed fabric that I have incorporated into my quilt with pre-cuts or fabric that I have bought from quilt stores. I saw a person speak on this issue and she said that the dies are different in the fabrics now and the fabrics don't shrink like they used to. There may be some, but not a lot if you buy quality fabric. I have never had a problem either with mixing the fabrics. Piece and blessings, Vicki

Comment

Originally posted by JimsQueenie View Post
                  Hi Penelope, I have quilted for over 23+ years and I prewashed all my fabric when I bought it and have a lot of pre-washed fabric that I have incorporated into my quilt with pre-cuts or fabric that I have bought from quilt stores. I saw a person speak on this issue and she said that the dies are different in the fabrics now and the fabrics don't shrink like they used to. There may be some, but not a lot if you buy quality fabric. I have never had a problem either with mixing the fabrics. Piece and blessings, Vicki
                  Vicki! Glad to see you here on the forum!

Comment

I mix old, new, washed, not washed, pre-cuts, yardage, all the time.

You can not tell at all which was which in the finished, washed quilt.
                    Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post

Me too! No problems yet!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Happy Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post

I agree with you, I mix all kinds of fabric in my quilts & have never had any problems.
                        I think it's a personal choice, so do what you feel comfortable with.
                        May the road rise up to meet you...
                        May the wind be always at your back...
                        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

You won't have a problem mixing pre cuts with fabrics cut from clothing that has been washed many times. That being said, I'm not sure what you mean by 'flat'. Your quilt will 'crinkle' once it is washed, whether you use washed or unwashed fabric. BTW, welcome to the forum.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

My husband's grandmother made quilts for my kids when they were young. She used some new, some old (who knows how old) fabric from clothing. Several of the pieces have shredded and it sure is a pain trying to mend them.
                            Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I do this all the time and will say that no problems at all. Once it is quilted and washed, no issues.
                              Sewing mends the soul.
                              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                              X