Advice on satin stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on satin stitch

I am trying to satin stitch large leaves to a tablerunner. There are two layers of stabilizer under the applique fabric. My stitch is not as even or consistent as I would like and I am getting some puckers. Does anyone have advice for how I can improve the stitch or is this stitch just challenging? I could use a small zig zag, but I wanted the look of the satin stitch. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Advice on satin stitch

I used to applique a lot on childrens clothes (some in my album) and only used a satin stitch. I never used any stabilizer, just a light Heat and bond. Is there a reason you are using it? I spent an afternoon doing lines ( with a fused fabric on another) using combinations of lengths and widths on a practice piece and write them down next to it. It helped me a lot.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Your tension may be off. I usually loosen my top tension by one number or sometimes 2. You might need a new needle. Dull needles can cause puckers. Try it out on some scraps of the fabric with stabilizer. I usually use just one layer. The stitch may be too dense or not dense enough. Try changing those numbers a little. Once you find the right formula, write it down somewhere. I can never remember what the settings are on my machines, and they are different for each one. When you are stitching, try to use an even, low to medium speed. You can handle the fabric better when you're not going too fast. I didn't mean to write a book! I love to satin stitch, can you tell?
      Last edited by Navy Wife; February 27, 2014, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I used stabilizer because I assumed this is similar to embroidery. The problem is two layers of tear away stabilizer is very stiff and I am still having problems. You are right, I should do some samples and see what will work. I even thought of putting the batting under the leafs instead of the stabilizer, but not sure if that will work.

Comment

I am glad to hear you love satin stitch. When I asked for advice at my LQS they made faces and told me it was a difficult stitch. I was even told to use three layers or stabilizer, which I was not going to do. I am now excited to try this again, I was concerned I might ruin the tablerunner. Thank you so much.

Comment

I attended a workshop given by Patrick Lose last summer. So many of his designs are fused appliques which he satin stitches around. Here's a video he did on QNN. COM on satin stitching around appliques. He is a great technique instructor!

How to Finish Appliqué with Satin Stitching - QNNtv.com

Comment

That's new to me, I never used stabilizer. Can you try a little practice piece without it? See if that works maybe.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Try shortening your stitch a little, and stitch a little deeper into the leaf instead of on the very edge of it.

I do not use stabilizer when I applique.
                Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  I attended a workshop given by Patrick Lose last summer. So many of his designs are fused appliques which he satin stitches around. Here's a video he did on QNN. COM on satin stitching around appliques. He is a great technique instructor!

How to Finish Appliqué with Satin Stitching - QNNtv.com
                  Jean, that was really helpful, thank you for that link.
                  sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I haven't done satin stitch on my appliques, but do use the button hole/blanket stitch and always use stabilizer. When I don't I get awful puckers and gathers. I haven't done this but I have read on various blogs and websites that you can do a double layer of satin stitch to get a more full look.
                    Wendy
                    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I also use stabilizer under the fabric, and even some lightweight tearway over the top--and reduce tension to "0". A friend of mine used old clear plastic dry cleaner bags on the top when stitching out on her embroidery machine.

I am lucky enough to have a Husqvarna Viking machine-they have the most excellent satin stitch. Makes applique a breeze.

Lisa

Comment

Thanks for bringing the tutorial from Patrick Lose to our attention, Jean. I'd seen it before and was interested to watch it again. It's an excellent demo.
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thank you so much Jean. The video really helped me.

Comment

Patrick Lose has designed some of out favorite blender fabrics, like Moda Marbles and Sunstreaks. He is an excellent technical instructor. His video on binding is excellent, as well as his instruction on how to join binding strips. I noticed Jenny did her video on machine binding after he did his, using the same techniques. Looks like the teacher went to school herself! He has a cool way to make bias binding in which nothing is wasted. I saw him at the Iowa State Fair last summer. He taught 2 workshops a day every day of the fair. I was lucky to get into the class! Look him up on QNNTV.COM.

http://www.patricklose.com/
                            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 27, 2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I always use a piece of stabilizer underneath. Make sure you have an open toe foot, they usually have a groove in the bottom to prevent tunneling. Practice on scraps that will be identical to your final project. Duplicate thread, everything. Some of the best sources I've found are books by Beth Ferrier, Patrick Lose, and Sharon Schamber.

Comment

Working...
                              X