borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

borders

Does it make a difference how you cut your material for borders? Straight of the grain or not? Which way will make it less likely to ripple?
    Thanks,
    QuiltinMary

Re: borders

Mary,

Most quilters cut their borders WOF (selvedge to selvedge) and sew the sections together because it uses less fabric. When I do that I sew the sections together with a diagonal seam because it looks nicer than a straight seam. The only times I don't use the diagonal seam is if my fabric is striped, plaid or a large print and with these type fabrics I match the print/plaid/stripe and sew a straight seam.

I put some borders on a quilt yesterday and I had enough fabric to cut my borders lengthwise, so I won't have any seams. I also had enough fabric to cut the binding strips lengthwise. I prefer my binding to be cut selvedge to selvedge because it has a little more flexibility than using lengthwise straight of grain. Cutting your fabric one way or the other for your borders doesn't really make a big difference in the waviness of a border. That is a sewing issue.

Once your borders are ready to sew on, match the center of your border to the center of your border strip and ease your fabric along the edge of your quilt top to the end. I mark the center and both ends on my borders and match to my quilt top. To measure for your borders, I measure through the center of the quilt and cut my borders that exact length. When you sew your borders on, sew with the border on top, not underneath the quilt top. Take your time sewing and make sure your edges are lined up accurately. Once the border is on, set your seam and then press it toward the border. Sew on both lengthwise borders first and then the shorter widthwise borders last. If your quilt is square it doesn't matter, just sew opposite sides on and then add the other opposite side borders.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Re: borders

Length of Fabric will have the least amoung of stretch but that is not the reason for the dreaded ripple. The way to avoid the ripple is to measure across the center of the quilt and use that measurement to attach to the edges. Some people take a measurement across the center and along the 2 edges and take the average. (I have always just used the center). If the edge is longer than the center, the difference will be eased in. If the edge is shorter than the center, it will be stretched to fit. Works every time. I generally mark the center point, 1/4 points, and 1/8 points on both border and edge and pin at those points. That way any difference is distributed evenly.
      Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
      Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Working...
      X