I'M ALL WONKY!!! HELP PLEASE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'M ALL WONKY!!! HELP PLEASE.

Can any of you give me some advice, or tips on what I'm doing wrong here, pleeeeaase? I cut my fabric properly and sized correctly. I'm careful with my seam allowance and I handle the pieces gently as the bias scares the heck out of me, lol. But, I'm still losing my points (more so on other blocks than this one) and getting wonky lines. I try to match seams that need to match by using a vertical pin or nesting the seams, so I really can't think what else I can do.

I have managed to square this block up to 12½ inches, but if the lines are wonky, it's still not going to look too good is it? I'm making my very first quilt so I don't expect perfection, but neither do I want all 24 centre blocks to be off kilter like this one.

Goose-in-the-Pond.jpg
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: I'M ALL WONKY!!! HELP PLEASE.

You chose this as your first quilt?! You are brave! I think it looks great. I can only suggest a scant 1/4'' when you sew the blocks together. Very impressive!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wonky? I don't see wonky! Very ambitious block for your first quilt! And I would be very happy with it. I do think you will find a way to adjust as you do more of the blocks. But this looks fine to me!

Comment

Confession time. If I could do a block with that many pieces that looked that good I'd be turning cartwheels and hollering WHOOPIE!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Lorraine, I must need my eyes checked. I don't see anything wrong with that block. Other than it isn't mine. LOL. I made my first block similar to that for a Block of The Month quilt. Mine didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but everyone who has seen it has said they love it, even my best friend who is OCD and usually points out my mistakes with glee.

I think we all tend to be our own worst critics. It looks great, I love the colors and hope you share pics of the completed quilt. Bob

Comment

It looks good to me. I think the wonkiness you see in the center might be partially an illusion. When I look at a disappearing 4 patch the lines always look wavy to me.

The one thing I will caution you on - be careful when you are squaring up your blocks. I can see a couple points that you will lose on this one when it is sewn to another block.
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I starch my wonky blocks to help them straighten out a bit, I think it might help in your case. Also after it's quilted the imperfections seem to diminish somewhat. I have only been quilting a couple of months and I'm my own worse critic, hate all my quilts until after they're quilted and then they are miraculously beautiful.
              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I am so glad I read the other posts because I didn't see what you see and I thought it was just my inexperience but when everyone else didn't see it then I knew it wasn't me. It looks great. Being a perfectionist in quilting (from what I have read) is a losing battle. Quilting isn't perfect. Some people deliberately make or leave mistakes so it has a homemade look. Perfection is from factories with machines that have been calibrated to tight tolerances. Real world, real quilts, real people make the kinds of quilts that get passed down through generations.
                Hugs,
                Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I agree with the others. I also might add that when it is quilted any wonkiness you see will most likely disappear. Be sure to post a picture of the finished product.
                  Donna

Comment

That 'so a beautiful block... I don't see anything wrong with it... Is this your first quilt.... If it is, wow....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Lorraine, great quilt block. keep on making them. I don't see any problem.
                      Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I can't believe you chose that as your first quilt!!!! Scary, but good for you! I only see one point you will lose and that is the one in the upper right corner.....maybe you can take it apart and easily fix it. I am very impressed!

As much as I like the center part of that block, after doing a D9P, I decided I'd never be doing that one!
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Perfect Points Quilt Along - Quilt With Us

This is a great lesson in perfect points...I"ve sewn a few of these blocks and learned a great deal. It might be very helpful to you too! And, as other's have said, homemade quilts aren't perfect...they have character! Loved the block though...keep trying, you will get it.
                          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I don't see any wonkiness, just a couple of points that will be caught in the seam when the blocks are sewn together.
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I think it looks fantastic. I still have loads of trouble saving points. I no longer stress over it, because there is no one i would give a quilt to that the sewing part of it would be a focus. Design, colors, and love, and comfort. Thats what they see
                              Karen
                              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Working...
                              X