Jelly Roll Mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly Roll Mistake?

I was watching Jenny do the Jelly Roll Race tutorial and thought: I can do that! Well...maybe not! I sewed all of the strips together but when I looked back at them to sew them together in long strips, I noticed one of my 45 degree seams faced me and the next one faced away from me. Every other one is opposite of each other! What did I do wrong? I made sure the right sides were together and that each strip wasn't twisted when I sewed the other end.

Oh are you kidding me I messed up something so EASY????

Advice would be super! Thanks!

Re: Jelly Roll Mistake?

Look at my signature and think of it that way. My guess would be that when you put them together and sewed, you started from the opposite corner. I did that too. When I sew strips together I have to think every single time about what corner I am starting from. I usually put them together, hold it with my fingers and open it to get the visual of the direction. I don't trust myself to do it naturally. Consider it as an artists interpretation and who says it HAS to be one particular way???? Happy accidents.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I don't think it will really matter in the end. When I sew my strips together, I lay the finished group of strips horizontal on my sewing table, then lay the new strip vertical across it, the turn it 45 degrees to the right and sew. I do it the same way each time I sew, so they all end up the same direction.

Comment

Okay, fixed and done! I used Bali Pops (I am taking a Judy Niemeyer class on Monday and bought an extra package) and it is gorgeous! I don't have a border on it yet, but it is already pretty!
        Thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

Be sure to post a pic so we can ohhh and ahhh over it.

Comment

I bet the original one looks really interesting with the varied angles. I hope you finish it, I'd love to see a picture of it..
            May the road rise up to meet you...
            May the wind be always at your back...
            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Yeah... Please list a picture.... We love that!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

What are the measurements of the jelly roll portion? I want to add a border. Also need to order backing when I place the order.

Sometimes Jenny states the size in her tutorials which is helpful.
                Thankes

Comment

Originally posted by Filusan View Post
                  What are the measurements of the jelly roll portion? I want to add a border. Also need to order backing when I place the order.

Sometimes Jenny states the size in her tutorials which is helpful.
                  Thankes
                  If you use a 40 strip jelly roll, the top will end up about 50" by 62-64". Someties they end up a little bit wider.

I buy 3 yards for backing.

Comment

A Jelly roll is 2.91 yards of fabric... or Just shy of 3 yards. The Jelly roll race measurement? Not sure... I have not made one of those yet.

Comment

I don't use diagonal seams. Just straight seams and a spacer.
                      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I like the diagonal seams, adds a little interest. I bet yours is gorgeous with the seams going different/opposite.
                        "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Working...
                        X