Which way the thread goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which way the thread goes?

Does it really matter which direction the thread comes off the spool? I had no idea!

Re: Which way the thread goes?

It can affect the tension on some machines. BTW I like your name. My grandmother was Annie (or Anna) Pearl. Who knows? She used both but always went by Pearl.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Hmmm-never thought about the direction of the thread. Since it may be more important than which way the toilet paper rolls (over or under) because we are dealing with a machine, I did a little internet search.

Hey, it seems it does matter. I love the internet.

Tilly and the Buttons: How to Thread Your Sewing Machine

Comment

The directions for my machine say to put the thread under. But when I went for my class on my machine the dealer said he found it best to put the thread over. I've done both and really do think it feeds off the spool better over.

Comment

Depends on the twist of your thread.
          "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

So, clear as mud Annie Pearl?

I thread mine like it is shown in the link that Vicky provided (from the back, towards the left), but I have heard that some quilters switch it around the other way and get better results. Perhaps the best answer for you is either, a) try both ways on scrap fabric and examine your stitches to see if it makes any difference at all, and if so, which you like best. Or, b) contact a dealer who sells and services the make and model of machine you have and get their advice and opinion.
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
              Hmmm-never thought about the direction of the thread. Since it may be more important than which way the toilet paper rolls (over or under) because we are dealing with a machine, I did a little internet search.

Hey, it seems it does matter. I love the internet.

Tilly and the Buttons: How to Thread Your Sewing Machine
              Very interesting. Didn't know this.
              Hugs,
              Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

This is a little off topic, but I find when I'm getting to the end of a spool of thread and the tread seems to have become set in the shape of the spool. I don't know how to describe it. If you pulled a length of the thread off, it curls up is what I am trying to describe. I start having trouble with my machine, the thread seems to jump out of the hooks that hold it and I have to stop and rethread the machine frequently. I don't think I'm explaining this very well, but maybe someone will know what I mean. I have a Pfaff Hobby 4270 machine. It has been serviced recently. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I have never paid much attention to how the thread should come off the spool. On the old spools I have, I make sure the little notch in the spool is on the bottom so my thread won't catch as it comes off. I have a few big spools that have a big flared bottom and so it's obvious how it sits on the machine, but mostly I just get 'er done.

Comment

The dealer I have said for the baby lock machine that I have to have it come off the front instead of the back. The spool lays on it's side for both sewing and bobbin winding.
                    She also suggested to wind the thread around the nubbin twice for a better wound bobbin. For this machine, I have noticed a difference when I wind the thread twice around the nubbin, it truly does make for a tighter wound bobbin in which I could see a difference. I don't know if works this way with all sewing machines or just the one that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                      The dealer I have said for the baby lock machine that I have to have it come off the front instead of the back. The spool lays on it's side for both sewing and bobbin winding.
                      She also suggested to wind the thread around the nubbin twice for a better wound bobbin. For this machine, I have noticed a difference when I wind the thread twice around the nubbin, it truly does make for a tighter wound bobbin in which I could see a difference. I don't know if works this way with all sewing machines or just the one that I have.
                      Where is the nubbin and do all machines have one?

Comment

I never paid attention to which way the thread rolls off the spool, never seems to give me a problem except the older spools getting caught in the little slit to hold the thread on the spool. I also am wondering what a nubbin is , don't think I have one on my machine I checked the book.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I don't think any of my machines have nubbins. Lol

But actually, even the spools with the larger bottom can make a difference if you turn them upside down. I was having an issue once and thought there was no way it could be the thread because it was on with the large side to the bottom (right when on its side). I flipped it and had no more problems. Not sure if it somehow got wound backwards or what, but it solved whatever the issue was.
                          "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Working...
                          X