which thread to use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which thread to use??

Ok, so I'm just about done with my first official quilt top! - now onto the next step... machine quilting it. Which thread? How much should I plan on using for a toddler/throw size? Should I buy a big spool since I will use white, and will probably use white many times again?? I'm assuming I will put the same thread in both the top needle and the bobbin, right? I'm just planning on pretty much echoing the lines (chevron, kind of) -
    any help would be greatly appreciated and I will forever be in your debt (well, maybe not forever )

Re: which thread to use??

If it was me I would buy the big spool. Those are usually 1200 yards or more so it will be more than enough to do your quilt.
    There is an app for iPhones from Superior Threads that helps you calculate the amount of thread you need. It's not perfect but it will give you a ballpark amount. I got it from the App Store & it's free
    I've used it several times & found it helpful, so far I haven't run out of thread when quilting.
    I personally use either Superior Thread or Connecting Threads threads but keep in mind I have a long arm machine that I use to quilt on.
    Last edited by Quiltfreestyle; February 25, 2014, 08:18 PM. Reason: Additional comments
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

The amount of thread will also depend on the density of your quilting as well. But if you plan on using white, you'll use that on other projects, so it is probably safe to purchase a large spool. As for brands, there are so many to choose from. I am partial to Guterman cotton, although the poly doesn't shed like the cotton threads do. I've also used Coats and Clark, but Gutterman has a better color selection. If you like varigated, the King Tut is nice (but expensive) and you'll likely need to use a larger needle, because the King Tut tends to be thicker.
      My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

I tend to use the same weight of thread in the top and in the bobbin although that is not necessary. Actually I use the same thread for piecing as well - it's just the color that varies. Right now I am using Connecting Threads cotton but it is a bit linty. White is a good bet to go with a larger spool. Just don't get the cheap serger thread. Make sure it is either cotton or poly quilting thread. I try to get mine on sale when I buy.
        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Working...
        X