Setting Point - how to do ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Point - how to do ????

I have 5" blocks and I've sewn 2.5" corners on all four sides with the thought of sewing them together to get a diamond, but when I sew two or more together do I lose the sharp points - what am I doing wrong - i thought it would be easy !!!!
    :icon_wave:

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf

Re: Setting Point - how to do ????

Perhaps a picture would help us to know how to help you.

Comment

How to Set Quilt Pieces on Point!
      Have a Sewonderful Day,
      Mary T.

Comment

Check out Bonnie Hunters site Quiltville. I'm linking to a chart for setting and corner triangles. No special rulers needed!!! Math for On-Point Quilts

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Not sure if you can see but when two patches joined the point
          Gets lost

Comment

I'm wondering if you're not actually talking about 'on point' blocks. I was thinking you meant that the corner pieces were forming the diamonds but the block were still upright. Maybe I've got it wrong and others on the forum will have other ideas. Hope you work it out.

Comment

I've been trying to post a picture but I can't do it - visualise a 5" square and add 2.5" sq to each corner - you have a diamond shape in the middle (your 5" square) are perfect points - once you sew two of these together you loose the perfect point as its been sewn into the seam - cant figure it out - don't even know what to search for cos I don't know what words to search for

Helen

Comment

I think she is describing the flying geese effect??
                Mary
                SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Whenever you sew two blocks together you have to have enough space for a quarter inch seam. So if you want points in your squares...you will have it account for that. I suggest you look up flying geese and see if this is the effect you want.
                  Mary
                  SW Missouri

Comment

I think she is snowballing the corners. you would need to use a larger square, 3"??, so that they overlap in the center of the block and create a 1/4 seam allowance.
                    Someone chime in here if you know the correct size for this square. I'm sure there is a chart out there somewhere
                    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

PM/GC Quilts Skill Builder Series: Part 9 ? Diamond in Square | Piecemeal Quilts
                      Mary
                      SW Missouri

Comment

Next cut four squares for the corners. The squares should measure half the finished block size plus 1/2″. So if you finished block is 6″, your squares should be cut at 3 1/2″ (half of 6 is 3, plus 1/2″ is 3 1/2″).

Thanks Mary. Method 2 is the way I was thinking. so for your 5" block your squares should be 3". half of 5 is 2.5 plus 1/2" = 3" squares.
                        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Are you making a square in a square, that is what it sounds like to me, if so search square in a square and you will see the the outside square had to be larger all the way around

Comment

Doloris - I'm gonna try and do this -

Auntiepiggylpn posted a link to a chart in this post - not sure I understand it a but one day the 'penny will drop'

Mpyles - gonna try this way also

Thank you all vet much

- and I'm gonna get help with posting picture. Xoxox
                            Last edited by Helen McD; February 26, 2014, 06:07 AM.

Comment

You are snowballing corners to get a square in a square blocks. This is what happens:snowballing help.jpg
                              The black lines are for your 5" square, the blue lines for the finished block, 4 1/2". The red lines are for the snowballed corners. If you were using 2 1/2" like in the first drawing, once you sew the blocks together you lost the points, hidden in the seam allowance.
                              As other forum members said before, these corners must overlap: you must start with corner squares that measure half the side of your block, plus 1/2", like I represented in the second drawing. I hope this drawings have helped.

Comment

Working...
                              X