Triple Irish Chain Quilt block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple Irish Chain Quilt block

So, I've fallen in love with making Irish Chains, and so far I have two tops completed and am working on another doing the single Irish Chain. I have purchased fabric for a triple Irish chain, using three shades of green with cream. I've looked at several online patterns, and it looks like the block to form the chains is quite big. So, for those who have built these, do you make sub blocks of 9 patches, then connect with three patches for the main block? It looks like the colored block is 7 squares across and 7 down. It would drive me crazy to sew the pattern to do 7 rows either way using strip piecing. I know the solid block isn't a simple square, but has some corner squares added onto the solid square. I have that one figured out.

What do you do? I'm about to cut my strips and get going on this, I would love to finish it by St. Patrick's Day. Some advice needed from those who have made these quilts.

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...lt-block-1.jpg
    Main block
    http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...lt-block-2.jpg
    Solid block
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 25, 2014, 09:07 AM.

Re: Triple Irish Chain Quilt block

I've only done the double irish chain, but if making a 7 strip unit will drive you crazy, I don't see why you couldn't do a 3 piece strip set and a 4 piece set for each row and then make small blocks and put together for a bigger 7x7 block. As long as you get to the
    7x7 it's however you want to get there.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
      I've only done the double irish chain, but if making a 7 strip unit will drive you crazy, I don't see why you couldn't do a 3 piece strip set and a 4 piece set for each row and then make small blocks and put together for a bigger 7x7 block. As long as you get to the
      7x7 it's however you want to get there.
      Yes, that is what I thought. I can make 9 patches for the corners, and connect with small three patches and a center block.

Comment

Wow, Jean!
        I can't wait for the St. Patrick's Day reveal!
        I really need to get off the exclamation point.
        It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I did mine long enough ago that I don't remember what I did when piecing it. My colors were laid out a specific way so I had to work around that. I have a book for triple irish chains and used that as a guide. Ha, I'm sure there was a much easier way to do it than what I did too.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Wishing you the Best of Luck Jean!!!
            Can't wait to see it!!!
            ~Kathy~

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
              Yes, that is what I thought. I can make 9 patches for the corners, and connect with small three patches and a center block.
              That's what I saw when I looked at the main block - four 9-patch blocks that are alike in the corners, 4 strip sets that are alike and a center block.
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                That's what I saw when I looked at the main block - four 9-patch blocks that are alike in the corners, 4 strip sets that are alike and a center block.
                It looks like to me there are only 3 strip sets and the center block. 2 of the 3 in the 9 patches would be the same just reversed, then the center of the 9 patch and the strip of 3 blocks that joins them, then the center.
                Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Jean, Have you watched Eleanor Burn's video on "Triple Irish Chain?" Don't know if it will help but you might want to check it out if you haven't done so already. You know Eleanor. She's into as simple and quick as possible. Quilt in a Day Media Theater - #1512 Triple Irish Chain, Part 1
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

One of the ladies on facebook posted it over there. I'm sure she would be glad to give you details of how she did hers. I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it is completed

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                      Jean, Have you watched Eleanor Burn's video on "Triple Irish Chain?" Don't know if it will help but you might want to check it out if you haven't done so already. You know Eleanor. She's into as simple and quick as possible. Quilt in a Day Media Theater - #1512 Triple Irish Chain, Part 1
                      i watched her video, and she did the seven strip build of the chain. She used a wonderful organization chart to help you to keep organized while building the blocks. I may try that because she was going to complete a " quilt in a day". Loved the video! Thanks for the reference!

Rebecca, I'm so glad to see you back on the forum on a regular basis! I always appreciate your quilting advice! Hope when you transition to the Netherlands you can get back to quilting and sharing here with us!
                      Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 26, 2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X