X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary3100
    replied
    Re: Pins

I use the flat flower head pins. My lab Bella tried to eat one tho. Luckily the flower head comes off pretty easy, so the pin part was easy to pull out of her throat when it got hung up and started to come out the side. She didn't act in pain. I was petting her and felt a sharp coming out of her throat fur....I distracted her while my husband used tweezers to pull the pin through...I am very careful now and use the magnetic pin holder...
    Bella 1st Birthday.jpg

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I've been using the long quilting pins with round yellow heads, which I bought at WM. I think the heads are plastic, b/c if you touch the iron to them, they melt a bit. I also use some of the flat headed ones (also from WM), but it's not as easy to grab on to them when stitching. I prefer the yellow round heads for most things. I use the flat headed ones to designate orientation of a quilt block (placed at the top) -- also for marking where I stopped my FMQ or a spot I need to come back to. JCY

Leave a comment:

• madampolo
    replied

I use pins with yellow round heads on them and flat pins that have a flower on top. I recently bought silk pins with no head on them, and I have another type which I can't remember on order from MSQC. To tell you the truth, my favorite is the yellow head ones, although they are the thickest.

Leave a comment:

• IwantItgreen
    replied

Originally posted by mcwade View Post
    What kind of pins do you use? I bought pins from my LQS and I don't know what brand, etc. The ones I bought had blue and yellow glass heads, and were very fine. I have recently moved to another state so I can't go back and buy more. There are no quilt shops in my area, so I will have to buy online. Thanks so much.
    Those are Clover Patchwork pins. I use them and love them.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
    I have all kinds of pins, and I find I prefer those glass head pins the most. They are very fine and when pinning intersections they don't distort the match. only downside is they bend easily.
    Me, too.,.. The flower heads are thick, and they can rust. I just dis overhead the glass headed pins, and love the

Leave a comment:

• Lightwriter
    replied

I like the flower head pins. They are long enough to be effective and are easy to remove at the last moment.

Leave a comment:

• Diva Deb
    replied

I use the flat head pins. I like them because they are long and thin and I can find the head more easily.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha O
    replied

Which of the flat head pins won't melt if you iron over them? I don't keep a separate pin dish for garment or craft sewing. I had some that looked like buttons and the heads either melted or broke off. I use the glass head now.
    I do iron over pins when putting up a hem or flattening a facing, etc. Even though the pin head was not touching the iron, it melted.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

You guys are all so spoiled!!! LOL!!! Back in the day, the only pins we had were small (about 3/4 inch long) straight pins that had a tiny tiny tiny little head on them! They weren't even long enough to bend! No color heads, just this thin, tiny little pin, very easy to "loose" in a print fabric cause they were hard to find sometimes! Yes, these cool flat heads and longer pins and stronger pins and colored heads ....boy have they made sewing so much easier! My preference tho is just in length... I use 1,1/2 pins in length and they just have the plastic colored ball head on them. I have found the longer pins are great for quilting but the 1 inch pins are good for what I call "Interior" sewing...applique, securing smaller areas and usually just for pinning a seam to sew straight.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I use the flat head pins.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

I also use the flat head pins. I like those best . The glass head pins bend to easy.

Leave a comment:

• SandyWhite
    replied

Amazon has extra fine pins and silk pins.

Heres one

Amazon.com: Dritz Quilting Extra Fine Glass Head Pins , 250 Count: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Leave a comment:

• deedum
    replied

I have all sorts of pins, but lately started using the double prong pins. I really tend to like them a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Pattycake
    replied

I prefer the flathead pins with the butterfly heads on the long arm. In addition to pinning the quilt to the leaders, I also use them to pin the sides together. They bend as you roll the quilt on a long arm and then straighten out again when you remove them.

Leave a comment:

• AuntieVic
    replied

I have some of the flat head and the glass head pins. And I agree the glass head ins do bend easily, but they are thin and sharp. I find the other brands have quite a few dull pins in the packages that I have purchased. MSQC does have the glass pins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X