I need some sewing advice, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some sewing advice, please

My daughter has chosen fabrics for me to make a duvet cover for her comforter. Being afraid to use lots of seams for teensy blocks, the cover will have 15 inch squares.

Question 1: What kind of thread would be best?
    Question 2: What number should I set the stitch length?
    Question 3: Would you use larger than a 1/4 inch seam?

I know she wanted a duvet cover rather than a quilt because she wants to be able to wash it in her washing machine.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Re: I need some sewing advice, please

I would certainly use more than a 1/4" seam since they would more or less be exposed when laundered.

Unless, you make the top like any quilt you were making, then "sandwich" it onto a white sheet (no batting) and do what ever top-stitching or quilting, and then attach it to the back of the duvet cover. By backing the top with something and quilting it, it would be protected when laundering.

I think the same stitch length you use for piecing would be fine. I'd be using regular thread too.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Hi, My machine loves Guterman thread! So I would use what ever thread your machine loves. Wait for a sale, and then try different threads. When it goes through your machine like butter, use that thread. Keep in mind, some colors in the same thread can give you problems. It is due to the dying process. It is that way with yarn too. I would try a dry run on the same fabric you'll be using. Then you can adjust to the stitch size that works best. I just take a 3" wide strip and sew lines in different sizes and compare them. I too would use a little bigger seam, or consider doing a french seam so the seams are all hidden. Good luck, Sweetie. If you have problems just ask. There are much better sewers than me, who have years of experience that will help you. Hugs, Jan L.
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Jean is a great person to ask. She sews all the time, and professionally at that. She is wonderful!
        Just a thought.

Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I have made a couple of duvet covers although not with that many pieces. I would use 1/2" to 5/8" seams. If you have the option to serge the edges of your pieces they won't fray but if not the idea of adding a backing is great. My stitch length was 2.5 on my machine, which is the default and I used all purpose poly from Mettler. They have held up great.
          Ann

Comment

When you are doing your samples, you might want to try 2.0 stitch length and Superior So Fine thread. It is really strong. I like the idea of using a backing but no batting also. But--there are many people here with MUCH more experience than I have, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt!

sigpic
            Marci

Comment

I also second using a serger.
              Vonnie

Comment

What exactly is a duvet cover???
                LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

It's a cover for, usually, a down comforter.
                  My friends call me Peggy
                  The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
                    What exactly is a duvet cover???
                    It is like a big pillowcase for a comforter. Some people use them to be able to change colors for the seasons or as the original poster stated so they can be washed and dried in the home machines. I managed a local hotel that is a franchise property of a national chain (it was a Hampton Inn). They went to the duvet covers, so that they could easily be washed after each guest checked out. They used white so stains and such would show up easily. I would suggest putting seven ties inside the duvet cover and attach seven to the comforter to hold it in place when it is in the cover. Use bow knots for ease of untying them when time to clean the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by janluna View Post
                      Jean is a great person to ask. She sews all the time, and professionally at that. She is wonderful!
                      Just a thought.

I love Guterman thread, also use Connecting Threads cotton, but I use Coats and Clarks Dual Duty a lot. I think the idea that Karen has is good, wider than a 1/4" for extra strength. I use a little longer stitch length, just in case I have to rip out stitches.

Comment

Working...
                      X