Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

    So yesterday I decided not to use the monofiliment thread because when I did a test patch, I was able to pull it apart with some regular force (couldn't do that with the same piece and cotton or poly thread). The mono thread is very fine. I have 4 colors on hand of regular thread, gray, black, white, and turquoise. Since the back was predominantly black, I went with that. I did SITD. As you can see by the front picture, I, 99% of the time, stayed in the ditch (yay!!!) so the black never showed. The only stitching so far on the front is the long seams and not the short ones.
    20140223_142702_resized.jpg

    But since some of the back is in color and I had no mono, the black showed up. If it was just the cross stitches
    20140223_142636_resized.jpg

    I could let this go. But since I was following the lines on the front and not the lines on the back. On the vertical lines, it showed up too much and obviously not straight.
    20140223_142540_resized.jpg20140223_142611_resized.jpg

    This does look horrible. Granted it is a practice quilt but I really do love how it came out. So here is my question. Ready for the overthinking?

    Is it possible, and if it is, should I tack off the black lines where they end at the beginning of the turquoise and buy a thicker mono to replace that area for the back? Also, because my stitches are off (tension maybe?) I was planning on not quilting too close together so I would have a little puff to hide the stitches. The batting has a range of 1/2" - 3 1/2". The only way to do this I think, and this is where your help comes in also, is to tack down just the center of where the 4 pieces come together. That will give me 2"-3 1/2" tops of space between seams. I don't want to tie off like on some quilts with yarn. This is more modern/contempo and tying off is more traditional. My machine does not offer a decent decorative stitch to tack it down. Buttons IMO won't look good. So how can I do this? Any ideas?

    I did run practice pieces for the tension but it seems the beginning was fine with the tension or at least it looked like it on the black but the more I sewed, the wonkier they looked. For this reason I am thinking when I buy another machine, auto tension might be important. This is also what is steering me away from the Brother 1500S or any mechanical machine where I have to play with the tension all the time.

    Okay everyone.... set me straight.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

    There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

    A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

    #2
    Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

    When I first started quilting, I tacked my quilts at intersections with thread that matched the fabric where I was tacking. These quilts held up OK, although they were seasonal quilts and not heavily used. I even put one on my longarm after it was bound and did a meander stitch through the quilt body to make t stronger. It's the same idea as tying bu no loops of yarn show.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

      I'm thinking that I would just continue with the quilting that you are doing so far - following the front. Once it gets washed and dried I think it will be crinkly enough that the stitches on the back won't stand out as much. Unless you are planning on placing the quilt back up at times I wouldn't worry quite so much about it.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


      Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

        Just my opinion, but I would not worry about how the back looked. If it is really bothering you here are two options that do not involve removing and tacking off and replacing the black thread. Try switching to a dark gray thread instead of black. Since it is in the ditch in the front you may be okay, and it won't be as stark as black on the back. Second option, even easier, get a Pigma Micron pen and color over the black thread on the backside. It won't disappear, but again it won't be as stark. Those Pigma Micron pens have saved many of my boo boos.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

          Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          When I first started quilting, I tacked my quilts at intersections with thread that matched the fabric where I was tacking. These quilts held up OK, although they were seasonal quilts and not heavily used. I even put one on my longarm after it was bound and did a meander stitch through the quilt body to make t stronger. It's the same idea as tying bu no loops of yarn show.
          Good idea. Hate hand sewing but I'd rather do that than yarn.
          Hugs,
          Joanne

          There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

          A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

          Comment


            #6
            Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

            Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
            I'm thinking that I would just continue with the quilting that you are doing so far - following the front. Once it gets washed and dried I think it will be crinkly enough that the stitches on the back won't stand out as much. Unless you are planning on placing the quilt back up at times I wouldn't worry quite so much about it.
            This quilt is a lap quilt. Just for my house. I do plan on using both sides. I am perfectly happy with the front and learned a few lessons about having the back as it's own feature. Not a good idea until you know what you are doing. When I make my sister's quilt it will be double sided so learning this now helps.
            Hugs,
            Joanne

            There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

            A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
            Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

            Comment


              #7
              Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

              Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
              Just my opinion, but I would not worry about how the back looked. If it is really bothering you here are two options that do not involve removing and tacking off and replacing the black thread. Try switching to a dark gray thread instead of black. Since it is in the ditch in the front you may be okay, and it won't be as stark as black on the back. Second option, even easier, get a Pigma Micron pen and color over the black thread on the backside. It won't disappear, but again it won't be as stark. Those Pigma Micron pens have saved many of my boo boos.
              This is what I found on their site:
              • Fabric design*
                *Please note - the inks on fabrics are for "decorative purposes only" - meaning do not launder. Use on pre-laundered textile, 100% cotton. And most importantly, to pre-test on material scraps prior to final application.

              Have you laundered using these pens?
              Hugs,
              Joanne

              There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

              A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

              Comment


                #8
                Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                Joan,,,, this is great... just love it.. and get ready to make another quilt... that's what we are here to do isn't it...LOL OH, and don't forget to read your Bob Ross quote... it's my mantra.. only I say.. There are no mistakes,,, only creative opportunities!!!! Enjoy! GB
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                  I think your quilt looks great for a first try. The quilts that I have done double sided I did a loopy or meander free motion. I have the brother 1500 and I love it. No tension problems and because you have 4 adjustments for the feed dogs I can SITD with a regular foot. I think the thing about redoing is how much it will bother you. In my opinion SITD is actually more difficult than fmq. And like has already been said, after you wash it, it will look different. Great job!
                  Vernona:icon_hi:

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                    Weird, Pigma pens are what I use to write on my quilt labels. They are permanent and have been laundered a lot. I wonder why they say that in their review.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


                    Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                      Exactly, they are permanent markers. Not to mention that some of us have been quilting for a very long time, and have probably used these a time or two. Over thinking and over researching.
                      Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                      Weird, Pigma pens are what I use to write on my quilt labels. They are permanent and have been laundered a lot. I wonder why they say that in their review.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

                      Marilyn......
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                        Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                        Exactly, they are permanent markers. Not to mention that some of us have been quilting for a very long time, and have probably used these a time or two. Over thinking and over researching.
                        THAT is why I asked. I would believe the quilters here before I believe the manufacturer. Overthinking... yes. Over researching... no way. Never can have to much info. But when it comes down to it, ask the experts.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

                        There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                        A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                          Originally posted by vchale View Post
                          I think your quilt looks great for a first try. The quilts that I have done double sided I did a loopy or meander free motion. I have the brother 1500 and I love it. No tension problems and because you have 4 adjustments for the feed dogs I can SITD with a regular foot. I think the thing about redoing is how much it will bother you. In my opinion SITD is actually more difficult than fmq. And like has already been said, after you wash it, it will look different. Great job!
                          I wanted to do fmq but have never done it. I didn't want to practice that and thought the SITD would be easier. I found it very easy. The key is to go slow. I will be trying fmq eventually but wanted to wait for a new machine (next month... birthday present). The back does bother me. I am not being a perfectionist because I can live with mistakes but I was so proud of my first design (back not front) that I didn't want it ruined. The reason for not doing a lot of quilting on it is so the stitches will be hidden (I'm praying) but wasn't sure if it was even possible to tack lines, undo areas and redo like I had originally posted. Didn't want to try and ruin it so I asked the experts.
                          Hugs,
                          Joanne

                          There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                          A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                            Joanne, please remember, "There are no Quilt Police." Give yourself a break. Half the fun of quilting is making mistakes. It gives you the excuse to buy more fabric and try again. lol And you will learn with each quilt you make. Good luck, Jan L.
                            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: At the risk of overthinking.... opinions please

                              Originally posted by janluna View Post
                              Joanne, please remember, "There are no Quilt Police." Give yourself a break. Half the fun of quilting is making mistakes. It gives you the excuse to buy more fabric and try again. lol And you will learn with each quilt you make. Good luck, Jan L.
                              I LOVE excuses to buy fabric!
                              Hugs,
                              Joanne

                              There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                              A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X